Onsite Cycle Servicing

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
I started a new job in November. Firm I now work for offer onsite cycle servicing and MOT days for London businesses. Would this be of interest to any one here? If so please drop me a PM and I can provide more detail.

BTW there's no charge to the employer/landlord/building manager etc. The Cycle MOTs are completely free, you only pay if you want us to undertake any servicing on your bike. This is done either on-site or we offer collect and return servicing from offices in zones 1-3. Our prices are very competitive, techs are all Cytech qualified (minimum level 2) and we do a damn good job, unlike some of the larger cycle shops I could mention...

Cheers.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    I'd heard you were doing something along those lines, unfortunately not something I could use but it does sound like a good idea. How are you enjoying it? Do you get to spend more time at home with the little one?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531
    How much ££££££?
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    There are a few services like this around. I've used Nip Nip and they were very good and competetive. However, no one seems to be servicing my offices which have a garage full of bikes in dire need of some tlc! The owners aren't short of a bob or two either I should imagine..

I'll pop you a pm with the address.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    That is a great idea, I am fairly sure we could do with one here in Cambridge.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • il_principe
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'd heard you were doing something along those lines, unfortunately not something I could use but it does sound like a good idea. How are you enjoying it? Do you get to spend more time at home with the little one?

Less time! But I'm enjoying it a lot thanks.
  • il_principe
    How much ££££££?
    Services start at £40. Our most popular is £60, which gets you:
      Full safety check & frame alignment test Mech hanger alignment & true Frame wipe down and polish Drivetrain degrease and lubricate Wheel hubs and bearings checked/adjusted Spoke tension check & wheel true Brakes checked & set up/adjusted Gears checked and set up/adjusted Bottom bracket check/adjusted Headset checked/adjusted Tyres inspected for wear and inflated

Basically similar prices to the likes of Evans, Cycle Surgery etc, but we have properly qualified mechanics who actually do a proper job. I've been pretty shocked at the state of some bikes we see that have been recently serviced by some of the big chains.
  • il_principe
    MrSweary wrote:
    There are a few services like this around. I've used Nip Nip and they were very good and competitive. However, no one seems to be servicing my offices which have a garage full of bikes in dire need of some tlc! The owners aren't short of a bob or two either I should imagine..

I'll pop you a pm with the address.

Cheers. NipNip are rivals, but not all their techs are Cytech qualified and they don't have anywhere near the size of operation we do.

I should also point out that we are contracted to supply and maintain the Metropolitan Police cycles, London Ambulance cycles and St John Ambulance nationally. We also handle a chunk of the Boris Bike servicing. So when people use us they can rest assured that they're using a professional outfit and not just a couple of blokes with some bike tools...
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    You got a website to take a look at, IP?

We've a few cyclists in our office block who may use the service, but not all work for my company, so could stick up a link in the cycle shed or something along those lines.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Caller
    Caller Posts: 124
    MrSweary wrote:
    I should also point out that we are contracted to supply and maintain the Metropolitan Police cycles, London Ambulance cycles and St John Ambulance nationally. We also handle a chunk of the Boris Bike servicing. So when people use us they can rest assured that they're using a professional outfit and not just a couple of blokes with some bike tools...

In that case then I'm guessing your company is Havebike and if so I'd avoid using you at all costs having seen the state of some bikes after your guys have 'serviced' them.
    You'd probably get a better job done at Halfords.
  • il_principe
    Caller you have PM.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I really like the idea of this. Is there a minimum number of customers per site you'd need before you'd arrange a visit? Is there a full price list online anywhere?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    notsoblue wrote:
    I really like the idea of this. Is there a minimum number of customers per site you'd need before you'd arrange a visit? Is there a full price list online anywhere?
    A bit of googlefu offers this list - albeit a few months old
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    Caller wrote:

In that case then I'm guessing your company is Havebike and if so I'd avoid using you at all costs having seen the state of some bikes after your guys have 'serviced' them.
    You'd probably get a better job done at Halfords.

Please see the below response from havebike:

POSTED ON BEHALF OF NICK BROWN, MANAGING PARTNER, HAVE BIKE PARTNERSHIP LLP

I (and the team at havebike) are always disappointed whenever we hear from a dissatisfied customer. Delivering excellent customer service is a fundamental principle at havebike. This is instilled into all members of our staff and they take pride in this approach and the positive feedback they get from our customers.

Our excellent customer service and the high level of skill and professionalism of our team is the reason we are the ONLY company that is trusted to maintain every Police, Ambulance and Fire Brigade bicycle in London, as well as having thousands of satisfied customers who take advantage of our onsite and collect and return bicycle maintenance and repair service.

Whilst the poster wishes to remain anonymous, we have done some investigating and believe we are aware of the circumstances of their complaint. Our understanding was that the complaint had been reported and thoroughly investigated by both us and management at their organisation, the matter resolved and concluded with our customer finding no fault on our part and describing our “servicing delivery and partnership" as "second to none”. I am therefore concerned by the content of the author’s post.

Nonetheless, I would be more than willing to meet with the author of this post and discuss any issues they still have, in an attempt to resolve any misunderstanding and demonstrate that their comments have been listened to and acted on appropriately.

Nick Brown, Managing Partner, havebike
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've used Havebike recently, for a service which entailed a new headset, new parts, major surgery on the front mech (it had seized, but they managed to save it), and the inevitable re-indexing of the gears. It also needed a clean, because, as some of you who've seen my bike, the frame is supposed to be red... The fact that the paint is 'sticky' means it's no easy job cleaning my bike. Which is why I can't be arsed to do it. Which is why it's dirty. Vicious circle.

Anyhoo, they collected it from my office one morning and dropped it back the following day (could have had same-day service, but was going out that night, so no need).

Hugely convenient because I don't get out for lunch much and getting the bike serviced at a shop when I need to commute on it isn't without its hassles given that I can't get to the LBS during the week or when it opens on Sat morning.

It also came back red. I've no idea how, but it did.

I'd definitely use them again, probably fairly soon given the state of my bike...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    cjcp wrote:
    I've used Havebike recently, ...stuff... given the state of my bike...
    :shock: I'm amazed they even touched your bike, let alone found it under all that crud.