First road side repair

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
Not sure how many years I've been cycle commuting now, but I finally had to repair a p*nct*re at the side of the road.

If I've had a flat previously I've found it at home, just near home or at work. I was 3 miles into the 12 miles home last night, the back went all wobbly and I realised I had a flat.

It's kind of odd but 'even' experienced commuters like me need forums like this to remind them of the consequences of not having the right kit and knowing what to do. So I had the spare tube, the levers, the pump and the process for properly swapping a tube:

Remove old tube
Look for reason for puncture and remove it (turns out it was a piece of glass deeply embedded in the tyre and it took some getting out)
Check again
and again
Fit new tube
Put a small amount of air in to form the shape
Replace tyre on rim
Get arm ache pumping a 28c tyre up with a mini-pump
Pop wheel back on
Stand bike up and release the QR skewer to make sure the wheel is sitting properly then tighten again

All that learned from being on this forum - so thanks all!

Oh and I found *another* broken spoke on the back wheel. It's almost like every ride now - I really can't understand why.

Incidentally GP4 Seasons only need one lever to get them off.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    So no godess in hot pants to help you out then? :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Re the spokes: I had this problem with a wheel a few years back, and was told that by the LBS that it's not an uncommon phenomenon, especially if you ride any distance on the broken wheel. The spokes either side of the break will have to take up the extra load, which may push them beyond their limit, and so on around the wheel. A full rebuild might be in order if you are past more than half a dozen breaks.

Ugo will no doubt be along in a mo to give a more authoritative answer
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Had my first unscheduled deflation in ages yesterday. It was a carpet tack or similar that went straight through the type. I was all sorts of smug thinking I had all the gear.

That was until I realised the new commuting wheels had a slighty deeper rim and valves on the tubes I had were too short.

Of all the cyclists on embankment only CJ offered any help and I'd waved him on before realising my mistake. Dang.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Bad luck on the flat

Agree with rj - sounds like it's new wheel time I'm afraid. Unless you have boutique hubs it's probably not worth rebuilding the wheel, just get a new one off of Merlin or superstar (other brands are available)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I punctured around half way into my commute yesterday. Thought it would be a 5 minute job then realised I'd left my repair kit with the other bike (Monday mornings eh?). Managed to ride another couple of miles keeping out of the saddle and weight over the front but eventually it went so flat I had to walk the last 3 miles. Harsh. Turned out the culprit was a tack, maybe 2cm long and straight through the tyre. Made a right mess of the tube. Also, you can remove a Specialized Nimbus tyre with one quick release lever (and put it back on with bare hands).
  • Kieran_Burns
    ddraver wrote:
    Bad luck on the flat

Agree with rj - sounds like it's new wheel time I'm afraid. Unless you have boutique hubs it's probably not worth rebuilding the wheel, just get a new one off of Merlin or superstar (other brands are available)

These are hand built wheels with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs and are less than a year old (replacements for the wheels I killed in last year's floods) so I'm not sure replacing them is applicable. A rebuild may well be in order but I'm upset that I need to do so, so soon after having them. (JE James before the inevitable question)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • ddraver
    I think that's fair enough - keep the hub but it ll be new spokes and new rim. If you ve killed them that quickly (and you're sure that they werent built by a muppet) then it may be worth looking for something a little stronger..?
    - @ddraver
  • Kieran_Burns
    ddraver wrote:
    I think that's fair enough - keep the hub but it ll be new spokes and new rim. If you ve killed them that quickly (and you're sure that they werent built by a muppet) then it may be worth looking for something a little stronger..?

I also think the rims are mavis open pros... but I'll check tonight
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Thought I had a flat this morning, sudden noise that sounded like air rushing through a hole. Came to a stop, dismounted and realised that there was no puncture. One of the front brake pads was loose and at an odd angle, and the noise was it rubbing against the tyre. On closer inspection, the washer that sits between the caliper and the shoe was gorne - disintegrated? So had to remove one of the pads off the rear brake and nick its washer - I only use the front brake anyway so this wasn't a problem, although no doubt some well-meaning soul will notice I am missing a pad at the back and give me a safety lecture.

Anyhoo, to bring this vaguely on-topic, in the course of fumbling in my bag for multi-tool I realised I have somehow neglected to pack a spare tube and only have patches. Patches, when you're trying to repair a puncture, in the dark, by the side of a busy south London road, are about as close to useless as you can get. The Fear will be my constant companion on the ride home.
  • ddraver
    You ve just reminded me that I ve not put any tyre levers in my bag neither...
    - @ddraver
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    ddraver wrote:

*Goes off to check the kit in my bag before leaving for home.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • ddraver wrote:

I carry spoons instead. Just as good as levers for changing a tyre, much more useful for eating delicious deserts, and if all else fails I can play them to earn the bus fare home.

Note, this will filmed some time ago - I don't look as young and fit as this anymore....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    *smugmode*

I have spare tubes, puncture repair, levers & multitool in a small wedge saddlebag - one set for each bike.
    Pump is on the frame.

I get on and ride, not having to remember to swap the kit over.

But over winter I'm on some slick flackjackets, CX tyres or (this morning) studded tyres - any of which reduce my p*nct*r* risk.... which probably means I'll get one on the way home now ... :(
  • ddraver
    I had a saddle bag until I realised that it totally obscured my light...I need a new alternative that can go in the bag
    - @ddraver
  • Kieran_Burns
    Koncordski wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

*Goes off to check the kit in my bag before leaving for home.

There have been innumerable occasions I have thought "Oh, I'll be fine. I never puncture..."

Just goes to show.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Was going to repair a tube that punctured last week only to find the hole just on the edge of an existing patch; bin it or try and repair it?

Well it might hold......

2lshcg8.jpg
  • ddraver wrote:

I seem to remember that you're a disc brake user, right? If so then it's likely that you can just replace the spokes.

No well-built wheel should fail that soon. Spokes only start breaking if they're either really cheap, really thin or the wheel is built with either incorrect lacing or uneven spoke tension.
  • ddraver
    Sounds a bit like it might be worth going back to the shop and saying "Oi!"

The point a bout the rim is that it's no longer hoop shaped so the spokes are having to be tightened super hard to pull it back into shape. Given that the spokes on the opposite side then need to be loose, the tight spokes break easily...
    - @ddraver
  • Kieran_Burns
    ddraver wrote:

I seem to remember that you're a disc brake user, right? If so then it's likely that you can just replace the spokes.

No well-built wheel should fail that soon. Spokes only start breaking if they're either really cheap, really thin or the wheel is built with either incorrect lacing or uneven spoke tension.

Yup, disc brakes and I'm beginning to think I was supplied poor spokes. None of the ones I have replaced them with have broken. I'm tempted to buy a set of good ones and replace them all (one at a time to make sure I don't get the lacing screwed)

Although saying that... does anyone have a map of how 36 spoke wheels are meant to be laced?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    ddraver wrote:
    Sounds a bit like it might be worth going back to the shop and saying "Oi!"

The point a bout the rim is that it's no longer hoop shaped so the spokes are having to be tightened super hard to pull it back into shape. Given that the spokes on the opposite side then need to be loose, the tight spokes break easily...

That was the bit I forgot to mention in my earlier post. Riding on a broken spoke is likely to pull the rim out of shape (egg-shaped as well as lateral wobble), and rectifying this by adjusting the spokes is likely to result in uneven tension => more breaks.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Yup, disc brakes and I'm beginning to think I was supplied poor spokes. None of the ones I have replaced them with have broken. I'm tempted to buy a set of good ones and replace them all (one at a time to make sure I don't get the lacing screwed)

Although saying that... does anyone have a map of how 36 spoke wheels are meant to be laced?

Yeah, just do the lot with something good. I use Sapim Race and they are pretty bombproof. You're usually best off just re-lacing the wheel completely so that you don't have to bend the spokes as much when weaving them in and out of the spokes that are already there. If you haven't already got it, the Roger Musson e-book is excellent.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    JonGinge wrote:
    That was until I realised the new commuting wheels had a slighty deeper rim and valves on the tubes I had were too short.

Got caught like that last week on my first visit of 2014, the short valve tubes usually get put in at home where the track pump can get a grip on the valve and leave the 60mm tubes for in the saddlebag in the pannier, except the first tube I pulled out was a short one and I thought I'd be OK with my mini pump. I wasn't so swapped it out again :x
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    ddraver wrote:

I carry spoons instead. Just as good as levers for changing a tyre, much more useful for eating delicious deserts, and if all else fails I can play them to earn the bus fare home.

Note, this will filmed some time ago - I don't look as young and fit as this anymore....

Used my Mum's best spoons to change a tyre when I was a nipper. As I was applying pressure to one of them it snapped and ripped my little finger to shreds (still got the scars to show for it).

Mother was more upset about her spoon than my finger. :-)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    ddraver wrote:

Used my Mum's best spoons to change a tyre when I was a nipper. As I was applying pressure to one of them it snapped and ripped my little finger to shreds (still got the scars to show for it).

Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I always carry a spare inner tube and tyre levers (amongst other things) in the saddle bag permanently on my bike (not got the n+1 thing yet, lol).
    I was doing a big ride last year so thought I should check the spare tube I'd been carrying for months only to find a big split in it where I'd obviously stuffed something sharp into the saddle bag. Very glad I spotted it before needing it!
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited January 2014
    FoldingJoe wrote:

You should have explained that in the grand scheme of things spoons are unimportant.

It's the fork that counts.

:roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Had a complete disaster last week.

I punctured just as I arrived at work, checked for the cause, found nothing. Put new tube in rode home and it held, the next day exactly the same happened. This time I found the culprit, a tiny piece of glass embedded in the tyr which only appeared through the inside when I applied considerable pressure.

On way home my wife rang to tell me she had a flat and was attempting to repair it (her first one out on the road). She unfortunately didn't find the culprit and put a new tube in. By the time I caught up with her, the second tube she fitted had punctured so we took that one out and found a similar piece of glass in the tyre I had found in the morning.

I was carrying an insurance spare tube in the pannier (in addition to the now holed one in my saddle bag) so to save time suggested we fit that, which we did and it refused to take any air. I still haven't found a hole in it so it must have had a faulty valve. We then had to resort to patching one of the tubes.

Having taken in excess of an hour since her first puncture we abandoned our plan to go for an extended ride and went home for takeaway!!

Four repairs in two days is a bit much. I hope the gremlin has done his bit for the year!!
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    Had my first unscheduled deflation in ages yesterday. It was a carpet tack or similar that went straight through the type. I was all sorts of smug thinking I had all the gear.

Of all the cyclists on embankment only CJ offered any help and I'd waved him on before realising my mistake. Dang.

Poor.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    gbsahne wrote:
    Was going to repair a tube that punctured last week only to find the hole just on the edge of an existing patch; bin it or try and repair it?

Well it might hold......

2lshcg8.jpg

heh funny enough I did that yesterday on the turbo wheel, its been losing air ever so slowly for months so i thought i'd see why, same issue - it seems to be holding fine atm
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • trekker12 wrote:
    Had a complete disaster last week.

I punctured just as I arrived at work, checked for the cause, found nothing. Put new tube in rode home and it held, the next day exactly the same happened. This time I found the culprit, a tiny piece of glass embedded in the tyr which only appeared through the inside when I applied considerable pressure.

On way home my wife rang to tell me she had a flat and was attempting to repair it (her first one out on the road). She unfortunately didn't find the culprit and put a new tube in. By the time I caught up with her, the second tube she fitted had punctured so we took that one out and found a similar piece of glass in the tyre I had found in the morning.

I was carrying an insurance spare tube in the pannier (in addition to the now holed one in my saddle bag) so to save time suggested we fit that, which we did and it refused to take any air. I still haven't found a hole in it so it must have had a faulty valve. We then had to resort to patching one of the tubes.

Having taken in excess of an hour since her first puncture we abandoned our plan to go for an extended ride and went home for takeaway!!

Four repairs in two days is a bit much. I hope the gremlin has done his bit for the year!!

After all that I hope the takeaway tasted good!?!
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!