11 and 10 speed - crankset compatability

lambpie
lambpie Posts: 25
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Does anyone have any experience of running an 11 speed ultegra crankset with 10 speed ultegra for the rest of the group including the chain?
In the absence of experience, opinions will do...

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I can't see there being an issue.
    I'm running 11 speed Ultegra with a 10sp Sram Red chainset, you'd have thought that there would be an issue there but there isn't.
  • I think the only difference between a 10s chain and 11s is the width of the outer plates. This could p[potentially cause a clearance issue when on the smaller ring, but in practice I don't think it's an issue as Bozman points out.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    More likely issues would be rubbing at the rear as the cassette sprockets are closer together on 11 than 10, hence the narrower chain being used. Also mechs for 11 will be that little bit narrower than for 10, and theoretically there will be more chain rub at the front with a wider (albeit 0.2mm or thereabouts wider) chain. And as Mitch has said, it could potentially catch on the out ring when running a crossed chain line.

I'd persnally go for an 11sp SRAM / Wipperman / KMC chain to avoid issues.
  • But none of that would apply with an 11 speed chainset on an otherwise 10 speed setup?

I'd like to know myself as I'd like a new crankset with my otherwise 105/6700 ultegra setup and I'd rather have the new 6800 chainset than the old 6700 one.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    But none of that would apply with an 11 speed chainset on an otherwise 10 speed setup?

I'd like to know myself as I'd like a new crankset with my otherwise 105/6700 ultegra setup and I'd rather have the new 6800 chainset than the old 6700 one.

Well the chainrings are (slightly) closer together on the 11 sp chainset, so running the (slightly) wider chain could give an interference between the chain and the big chainring if running small/small.