650b 150mm approximately four grand to spend. Help

2»

Comments

• adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Owner review of the 26" wicked Pro here:

http://www.baguslife.com/09/yt-industri ... ro-review/
  • Unfortunatley yet is out. The window since I will be using finance !
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    adamfo wrote:
    YT Wicked Pro – get a 4K bike for 2.5K and you'll probably not see another one on the trail.

They're pretty common, I know three people who have them and seen plenty on trails. They aren't a great ride, even with the BOS suspension and shiny bits.

There was a grouptest in the sept 2013 issue of MBR.
    Quote: "At this price point, YT’s Wicked Pro is utterly unbeatable 9/10.." They would have given it 10 if another magazine hadn't ragged the deville forks before they got it !

I reckon the Wicked 650b is better. For £1700 you get Pikes not Bos.

I wouldn't take much notice of MBR tests. They made the Orange 5 trail bike of the year more than once and the Specialized Hardrock the best budget hardtail.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I wouldn't take much notice of MBR tests. They made the Orange 5 trail bike of the year more than once and the Specialized Hardrock the best budget hardtail.

So, we shouldn't listen to mbr and we shouldn't listen to the dirt 100... but we should listen to you? Anyone else you'd like to claim superior knowledge and experience to while you're at it?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Well i wouldnt rely on any test of a bike at all other than short listing at this price, the orange IMO is an awful ride its like marmite some love some hate it and it seems a 50/50 split so the amount interpretation is huge on these things.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Well i wouldnt rely on any test of a bike at all other than short listing at this price, the orange IMO is an awful ride its like marmite some love some hate it and it seems a 50/50 split so the amount interpretation is huge on these things.

Of course, the word of the bike media should not be taken as Gospel. But neither should the combined opinion of those who've ridden more bikes than the rest of us can dream of (and probably better than most of us can dream of) and who's job it is to analyse the pros and cons of those bikes be dismissed out of hand by a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. Not to mention that every time an actual owner comments it's something along the lines of "brilliant!". Clearly, all those disenchanted owners that 'monkey knows don't go on forums.

Oh, and I don't buy the idea that owners of expensive bikes will automatically be in denial as a way to self justify, as posited earlier in this thread. If I dropped 4K on a bike and it was rubbish I'd be telling anyone and everyone who'd listen, loud and clear.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    TBH best reveiws i have ever read in terms of actual real opinion has always been user reveiws.

and people tend to be protective of there purchases, but no one person wants the same thing, bike riding is so subjective, for instance the covert is a great climber but average decender by all accounts and to me this would be a poor bike choice, but a more XC orientated rider might find this balance perfect. it's a very subjective subject as to whats better.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited January 2014
    Generally it's probably best to look for trends rather than just a single review.. YT Industries do well in tests both here and in Germany.
    This months WMB magazine has a group test of £2k DH bikes. A real test for the manufacturers to squeeze in good suspension at this price point. The Canyon Torque EX Gapstar wins with the YT Noton a close second.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Cqc wrote:
    Thanks for all the input , I like the idea of a transition covert or bandit , has anyone ridden a bandit ? Will it stand up to alpine style descents for example ? Also has anyone ridden a 2014 Saracen ariel ?
    Transition covert doesnt get great reviews as apparently isn't a great descender, so I imagine the bandit will be even worse, but ive got no clue tbh

I have a Bandit 26 and it's an excellent descender, easily the best "short travel" bike I've ridden downhill.

A bit surprised at the reviews of the Covert, I know a couple of guys who swear by them for the Mega and other enduro events.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Cqc wrote:
    Thanks for all the input , I like the idea of a transition covert or bandit , has anyone ridden a bandit ? Will it stand up to alpine style descents for example ? Also has anyone ridden a 2014 Saracen ariel ?
    Transition covert doesnt get great reviews as apparently isn't a great descender, so I imagine the bandit will be even worse, but ive got no clue tbh

I have a Bandit 26 and it's an excellent descender, easily the best "short travel" bike I've ridden downhill.

A bit surprised at the reviews of the Covert, I know a couple of guys who swear by them for the Mega and other enduro events.

Not sure about the Covert having bad reviews?

I know pink bike moaned because they didn't like the shock tune and the 720mm bars were to narrow and stem too long... :roll:

And the reviews are of a certain build kit not the frame alone

The bandit is also very highly rated on the decent and as an aggressive trail bike
  • Hi all , just a quick update. Decided to take so e of your advice and build my own from frame up (again) as it will be done by summer! Going with a Saracen Ariel 15x I think.