Discs rubbing/grinding after puddle

L3BIUS
L3BIUS Posts: 91
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys,

Was riding yesterday through thick mud and deep muddle puddles...
After going through one puddle my discs started to make a grinding/rubbing noise.
I thought perhaps dirt/grit and after some more riding it would rub off but the noise didn't stop.....
Jet washed bike with the bikewash provided at sherwood pines before putting it in the boot, but still making the noise! I'm yet to take the wheels off and deep clean but thought I'd ask for advise before I do.

Thanks for any advice
The New Beast GT Aggressor 2013 project

The Old Beast GT Aggressor Hardtail 2011 Custom Spec

Places i want to visit:
Gisburn Forest, Afan Forest, Holmbury Hill, Forest of Dean, Antur Stiniog, Fort William, Tweed Valley, Cwmcarn

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes it will be crud on the rotors and pads/calipers.

Ride it or strip and clean.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennyy
    bennyy Posts: 141
    Sherwood pines is my local happens to me probably 50%+ of the time I'm there, there is nothing you can do exept take out the pads and give everything a good clean/sand, I would do it as soon as possible as it doesn't half wear your pads down.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why would you want to sand your pads?
    Give it a hose out with water. Ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennyy
    If your hose can remove embedded in dirt fair play, mine can't, and have had to sand them, your brakes are never the same after a real dirty ride at pines, I do it twice a week, until you give them a quick sand and re-bed them in.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I've never sanded a set of pads, ever.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So sanding sand?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennyy
    To the OP, ignore the know-it-alls, if you give it a hose down and still make a noise, give them a quick sand down, to fresh clean pad material, bed them in and they will be good as new.I know what's it's like to ride the entire way round with the grinding of contaminated pads, not nice, or when replacing them after 3 weeks as they are worn down
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    I also ride pines a lot and have the same issue during most rides. I find that if i remove the wheels and get a small brush in there its enough to get rid of the grinding.
    make sure you use the same brush or new brush every time though. Don't use the brush you scrubbed your drive chain with last time you cleaned the bike.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Its normal, its simply just the dirt and mud getting into the caliper and rubbing. It will munch your brake pads like there is no tomorrow but there honestly is not much you can do about it, other than take the wheel off and clean the pads when you get home. I wouldnt sand them personally because 1. You dont need to sand them to remove the crap, and 2. They get worn down enough while riding in mud as it is.

Just take the pads out, run them under some water, and give them a wipe with a clean cloth.

There isnt any point of even doing the above if your bike only ever gets used for offroad riding.