Which bib shorts with an insert similar to Assos Uno?

dieselgeezer
dieselgeezer Posts: 231
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
As the question really.
I get on well with the Uno insert but I find Assos shorts don't last. Despite careful washing etc. the shorts go see-through at about 9 months old. Also, I've had the insert stitching come adrift at a similar age.
So, looking for an alternative make to try with similar comfort to the Assos. Any suggestions?
-- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    There are some good deals on the F13 S5 shorts eg

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ssozbbs360

this plus another 12% discount but selling out fast. Similar fit but to me vastly superior comfort and constructed like a rhino hide which must be the most durable material I've come across in bibs.

I presume similar deals are to be had at the moment.

Peter
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    No-one has the same inserts as Assos, but the other ones I get on with are the De Marchi Contour C+ or Evo shorts. Similar depth of padding on the sit bones but more shaping up front. Same kind of fit and sizing and they last well. They're hard to find in the UK these days though.

The Contour Pro ones are easier to find (CRC) and are a lot cheaper but the pad is much thinner.

I've not tried them so don't know if they are similar but maybe Rapha or Castelli - I'm sure someone will be along to suggest both :)
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Send them back to Assos, they should last longer than that
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    FatTed wrote:
    Send them back to Assos, they should last longer than that

+ 5 to that. If I'd paid what Assos charge for bibshorts I'd expect them to last for years. My DHB stuff refuses to die.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    northpole wrote:
    There are some good deals on the F13 S5 shorts eg

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ssozbbs360

this plus another 12% discount but selling out fast. Similar fit but to me vastly superior comfort and constructed like a rhino hide which must be the most durable material I've come across in bibs.

I presume similar deals are to be had at the moment.

Peter
    I just bought these very nice shorts and a bargain.
    I also have the s5 mille
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Originally I bought 2 pairs of Mille's. The 2 pairs lasted 18 months (about 12000 miles) & then the insert stitching started to come adrift. I sent them back to Assos who said not worth repairing as the lycra was by then see-through on the bum. They gave me a 30% discount on 2 more pairs. They say that their shorts aren't meant to last that long & that you pay for the fit & cut rather than longevity. Hence my reason for looking at other brands.

Any more alternatives?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Originally I bought 2 pairs of Mille's. The 2 pairs lasted 18 months (about 12000 miles) & then the insert stitching started to come adrift. I sent them back to Assos who said not worth repairing as the lycra was by then see-through on the bum. They gave me a 30% discount on 2 more pairs. They say that their shorts aren't meant to last that long & that you pay for the fit & cut rather than longevity. Hence my reason for looking at other brands.

Any more alternatives?

No, but thanks for the heads up about the ephemeral nature of the Milles!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    With lycra shorts you need to be careful not to use conditioner additives when washing - it can totally destroy the material and give that most unpleasant of views to riders sitting behind you!

As mentioned above, the F13 model have a much more robust material to the seat area which I presume to not be lycra, but the rest of the shorts are lycra and would fail with conditioner in the wash.

Peter
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have a look at the Endura Equipe range. I have the winter longs and the pad is easily as good as the Assos pads. quality is excellent, they've seen me through 3 winters now and the only sign of wear is the 'equipe' tansfer on the calf is begining to lift. I don't have any Equipe bib shorts (yet) but if the quality is the same as the longs, they'll be superb !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It's all Assos shorts.

They told me that certain sweats melt the fabric where they accumulate at the bottom of the spine.
    The trick is to wash (or at least rinse) them straight after a ride. I'll get 2 years out of a pair. For me, worth it.

Never found a pad that comes close.
    exercise.png
  • Having done a bit more research, how does the Castelli Progetto X2 insert compare (& the shorts quality?)