Rear shock fitting advice

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I've gone and bought a new shock to replace the current faulty one.

Shock is a rockshox monarch and frame is a Scott spark 960.

D I need rockshox specific mounting hardware or can I use the bolts and spacers off the current shock.

Anything I should watch out for?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you could well need frame and shock specific mounts/reducers.

see the topic in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If you haven't done it before, take it to your lBS.
    Some need press fit and if the bushes arnt right, you'll get wear and damage and a irritating suspension clunk ride.
    Not worth the risk for £20.
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • How am I going to learn if everyone just says take it to a bike shop, I want to know how to do these things myself, all I need is a vice clamp and some sockets to extract/press the bushings in.

Im asking because I dont know
    a) where I get all these parts
    b)what are they called
    c)because I thought forums were for the people wanting to learn and commit.

Nickouse, the FAQ link doesnt work?
  • nicklouse

Nickouse, the FAQ link doesnt work?
    Works fine.

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12792339
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ok thanks I must have been looking at something completely different
  • Alright guys, Ive found what appears to be the correct bushings for my shock and frame, cross referencing them with Scotts frame specs online and I need 22mm wide by 6mm.

Is anyone kind enough to double check and offer their help?
  • nicklouse
    So you then need to measure the shock.

Or use the link in the link above.
  • I dont understand what part do you want me to measure.

for monarch its a 12.7 external diameter bushing and my frame I believe uses and M6 bolt (which I have no idea where to get unless its safe to re-use existing) and its a 22.2 gap but looks like 22 is closest, hopefully rockshox have standardized things so Scott might have lost that 0.2mm in paint process or whatever.
  • I understand wanting to learn and far play too, but its probably one of the hardest things to do on a bike and quite an expensive fragile part to break.
    I fitted my first shock on an old coil spring kids bike where it didn't matter.
    Its not an insult to you, its just a job that can go horribly wrong.
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I dont understand what part do you want me to measure.

for monarch its a 12.7 external diameter bushing and my frame I believe uses and M6 bolt (which I have no idea where to get unless its safe to re-use existing) and its a 22.2 gap but looks like 22 is closest, hopefully rockshox have standardized things so Scott might have lost that 0.2mm in paint process or whatever.

how old is the bike - it's got an X-fusion shock as standard has it not which is 12mm diameter for the bush compared to 12.7 for the RS. you'll need to measure the distance between the mounts and the thickness of the bolts

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/mount_k ... hings.aspx
  • 22 and 6mm like I said above ??

Is that the sizes you were wanting me to confirm?
  • poah
    have you measured it with a caliper?

22 for the width between the mounts on the frame and 6 mm for the thickness of the bolts to go through.

then you need to order 2 lots of those hardwares

I think they are pretty cheap from Ze germans rather than TFtuned ones
  • I don't have a caliper but according to the PDF file from Scott's website it's 22 x 6.

I might buy a set of calipers
  • poah
    I don't have a caliper but according to the PDF file from Scott's website it's 22 x 6.

mine where 1mm out from what the instructions said for my frame hence why you should measure them