Cadbury

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
We normally only buy 70-90% dark chocolate and probably I have become a bit of a snob when it comes to the brown stuff, but I don't mind a Kit kat or the odd Snickers bar.
Today I bought a Cadbury chocolate bar... it was the most disgusting thing... basically a big lump of sugar, hydrogenated fat and condensed milk, sprayed in a light diarrhoea-like brown... no taste of chocolate whatsoever... probably never got anywhete near cocoa... serious junk!
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Thanks for the insight.

Think your second sentence summed it up :D

Saying that, Cadbury is not the best by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    When the food and drink program was on in the 90's, that wine buff Jilly did a session on chocolate and advised us all to try and taste the vegetable fat in bog standard chocolate, blimey it was orrible and put me off cheap chocolate.

I'm a bit of a choc snob as well, not really liking milk chocolate but a nice powerful dark is preferred, I do enjoy Chilli Choc as well as it goes so nicely together, but it has to have proper lumps of chilli in not the powdered rubbish.
  • My point is... should there be a minimum amount of cocoa to call a product chocolate or anything that is vaguely brown and sweet qualifies as such?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,090
    If you think Cadbury's is bad, try Hershey's. Utterly foul.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    edited January 2014
    I was given a selection pack for xmas. Had to throw it in the bin. Such a shame, doesn't make you proud of Birmingham
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • rjsterry wrote:
    If you think Cadbury's is bad, try Hershey's. Utterly foul.

Oh, now that is blasphemy! I grew up on the stuff, so may be a bit sentimental!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Milka or Lindt is where it's at.
  • Yeah Milka is by far the best. Lindt is also very good, but they are just too expensive.
  • Yeah Milka is by far the best. Lindt is also very good, but they are just too expensive.

Milka is cheap stuff, Lindt is good... what you mean expensive? You can buy one block for 1.85 at your local supermarket!!!!!!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    My point is... should there be a minimum amount of cocoa to call a product chocolate or anything that is vaguely brown and sweet qualifies as such?
    I think there is a minimum in America and our Cadburys doesn't qualify as chocolate.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    cadbury, and all similar blasphemers, should be banned from using the sacred name of chocolate to describe their foul oozings
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I think even regular supermarket own brand chocolate in mainland Europe shows Cadburys up for the muck that it is. Think I bought some in Amsterdam that was 37% cocoa compared to Cadburys 25%.
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    I once stayed on a cocoa farm in Brazil, and let me tell you, freshly ground cocoa beans mixed with a little honey and nuts is a sublime treat :)
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    My point is... should there be a minimum amount of cocoa to call a product chocolate or anything that is vaguely brown and sweet qualifies as such?

There is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_c ... pean_Union

Cadbury etc is probably classed as 'family milk chocolate' outside the UK. I quite like it, but they shouldn't have changed the shape of the pieces in a Dairy Milk bar! The only chocolate I really can't abide is Hershey's milk, which tastes like they've mixed their (perfectly edible) plain chocolate with baby vomit.
  • If it was for me 3/4 of the products in supermarkets shelves would not exist... including all Cadbury crap

Once a nutritionist told me that nutritionally the best part of the Special K cereals is the cardboard box...
    Have you guys ever tried oat bran for breakfast? It's ace... I can sprint on the drops all the way into work!
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    IBS eh.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Cadburys don't make chocolate.
    They went through a legal battle and had to change the name of their most famous bar.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    Cadburys don't make chocolate.
    They went through a legal battle and had to change the name of their most famous bar.

Good to know they are not allowed to call that junk chocolate
  • If it was for me 3/4 of the products in supermarkets shelves would not exist... including all Cadbury crap

Once a nutritionist told me that nutritionally the best part of the Special K cereals is the cardboard box...
    Have you guys ever tried oat bran for breakfast? It's ace... I can sprint on the drops all the way into work!
    With all that bran inside you I bet you have to sprint to work :wink:

On a similar tack, breakfast biscuits. What is the point of them? I read a Which article about them yesterday, far worse than refined breakfast cereals and no better than eating digestives.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    I hate bitter, high cocoa content dark chocolates. I'd rather Cadbury's to that but I do love proper (continental) milk chocolate and it does put our stuff to shame. American 'chocolate' is far worse though.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Ugo, :D I think you should just stick to hand-built chocolate from your LCS where you can specify cocoa percentage

Just buying stuff off the internet or from discount can lead to problems. If you take one bite and you don't like it then that's the whole bar, wrapper and foil wasted. Just try taking the wrapper back and trying to find a bar that fits!!! The shops just won't be interested. Even if you tell them that the bar was broken when you opened it...
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I will gladly take a bar of Galaxy over Cadbury's any day of the week.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Rococo chocolate if I want proper chocolate fixes, if it is just a bar of something then Milka or Lindt. I do have a dirty habit of Reese's Pieces or peanut butter M&M's a few times a year though
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I quite like Cadbury's milk chocolate to be honest. It isn't as nice as Green&Blacks but there is a nice cloying chocolate feel to it. When you have eaten non western chocolate for a while, I think Cadbury's tastes good.
  • pipipi wrote:
    Ugo, :D I think you should just stick to hand-built chocolate from your LCS where you can specify cocoa percentage

Just buying stuff off the internet or from discount can lead to problems. If you take one bite and you don't like it then that's the whole bar, wrapper and foil wasted. Just try taking the wrapper back and trying to find a bar that fits!!! The shops just won't be interested. Even if you tell them that the bar was broken when you opened it...

:mrgreen:
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I like Cadburys, so there!

I tried Hershey's when I was in Chicago. It tasted like bile :-(
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Lindt Mint Essence 8)
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Dark chocolate and a glass of Dalmore………
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    So what's the take on nestle chocolate?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • I can normally tolerate bad chocolate... as I said I don't mind a Kit kat, which I believe being Nestle... but the Cadbury I had yesterday was vile... it simply didn't taste of chocolate... it was overly sweet (sugar is cheap) didn't have the promised nuts and fruits inside (or maybe it had 2% blended with the palm oil and other crap they use).

Basically I don't get why a UK company has to produce something so sub-standard, when the nation spends so much in advertising the quality of its dairy produce and keeps going on about what kids should be eating.