Swap Mavic's for Dura Ace???

jackdee98
jackdee98 Posts: 15
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Good afternoon folks,

I have a set of 'Shimano Dura Ace WH-7850-C24-CL' wheels (with a SRAM PG-950 cassette) on my original road bike (Allez Elite) and I have just bought a second hand 2013 Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod Red that came with 'Mavic Ksyrium S' wheels fitted (albeit with an Ultegra cassette).

My question being is it worthwhile swapping the wheels/cassette over? I know the Dura Ace are slightly lighter but which are smoother and basically best etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Ksyrium Elites? They'll be stiffer, but also probably harsher. In terms of build quality I doubt there's much in it.
  • A 1000 apologies, that's what happens when I try to multitask :(

Yes I meant 'Elite S' wheels

Cheers
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    I had the older generations of Elites. they are excellent. not had experiences with DA wheels, but I would imagine they are on par.

Both hubs would be designed to last for ages. C24 is probably more Aero than the Mavic as the elites have very sharp profiles making it a bit hairy under cross wind condition. i had a couple of those instances when the surrounding all of the sudden opened up.

performance wise, i think there is a nominal amount of weight savings on Elites when compared to the DA
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    I think the DA are lighter and the hubs are just awesome. Mavics maybe a bit more robust. Depends on your priorities - DA for performance, Mavic for stiffness and durability.
  • If you have both sets you should try both sets... sounds a bit lazy to ask people to decide for you and frankly pointless
    left the forum March 2023
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,261
    I have had both. I had problems with the Elites bearings which frequently needed stripping and lubricating to cure a high speed induced grinding noise. When I swapped them out for the DAs I noticed an immediate improvement in the ride. The Elites were much harsher and transmitted road vibe straight up to your molars, visiting all points between. The DAs as has been said already are lighter with better bearings and a much quieter freehub. DAs for me all day long.