Is my frame for the dump or still safe enough?

ronanmcgrory
ronanmcgrory Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I have a carbon frame (Boardman) that's a few years old. I recently had a tire rub against the rear of the frame and wear right through to the tube and, on removing the wheel, noticed that it had also worn the frame.

I've attached a few pictures. Do you think this is safe enough to continue cycling or do I need to replace the frame (I've already purchased a new wheelset)?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

332mfdu.jpg

2u88lud.jpg

sb29mg.jpg

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I wouldn't want to be riding that.

Looks repairable though.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd just clearcoat it and carry on. In my defence I was raised in Yorkshire.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    As above I would just put some clear nail varnish or something similar over the worn bit-it's unlikely to have weakened the lay up IMO
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    That does look reasonably deep. If it were me I'd get a shop to check it. Any idea why your wheel/tyre was rubbing against the frame like that?

I have a similar issue with a Pro Lite Bracciano rear wheel and my Scott CR1SL frame, in that the wheel seems to sit closer to the drive side rear stay than the non-drive side at a sight angle. Whilst it's not close enough to touch, it should be straight and seems slightly out of alignment. Keeping meaning to get mine checked out, and wonder if I might find it touches the frame when I put my new Ultremo ZX 25's on...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Very hard to tell from that photo, There seems to be a wiggly line to the right of the frame rub.
    Is that the light?

It looks like a crack.

Give it a little push, you should be able to tell, if it flex's to much if there is an issue.

Stephen at fibre lyte will put you right

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/