Dura Ace chain on Ultegra 12-30 Cassette

cmhill79
cmhill79 Posts: 139
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi Folks

My bikes components are full Dura Ace 7900 except for the cassette which is an Ultegra 12-30 to help me get up the steep hills where I live.
When I purchased the bike 4 months ago I was told that the existing Dura Ace chain wasn't compatible with the 12-30 cassette (Shimano say it can't be done altogether but that's another story) and that I'd need a new chain installed (at my cost which I had no issue with) which had an extra link or two.
At the time I enquired as to whether the existing Dura Ace chain could just have an extra link or two installed and they said no so I just went with the new chain option. They returned the original chain to me in virtually new condition.
Anyway, 3,500 kms later and it's time to change the chain. My question is was the information correct or can I have extra links put on the original chain to make it compatible with the 12-30 cassette? It seems a waste to have this virtually new Dura Ace chain that I can't use...
Despite Shimano saying it can;t be done I've had no issue with this set up for 3,500 kms so willing to persist.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Regards
Chris

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've fitted a few 12-30 for mates and they've run no problem on a number of chains. Mainly KMC X10s
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Dura Ace 7900 chains are available in standard and long fitment.
    I recently fitted the standard to a compact chainset and Ultegra 28 cassette on my Cannondale and had to remove 4 links to maintain the correct chain length.
  • I have a Dura Ace 10 speed chain on my 12-30 cassette, no problems, and didn't expect there to be.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    The original problem was your DA chain was too short for the increased range of your cassette. The longer chain meant you won't have suffered any issues, with the short chain you would have.

Although you can add links back into chains you've removed them from (usually as a quick fix on the road if you break a chain) I'm not sure you can actually buy individual links for chains. If that chain came on a new bike I expect you don't have spare links, so you'd need to get hold of some links from a DA chain from somewhere, which is not necessarily going to be easy.

If you can get some then, from my experience of re-fitting links I'd say be careful, or use a couple of quick links. If you re-fit pins then the join may not be great and you risk what happened to me, which was a snapped chain on a steep hill.

I'd probably either keep the chain and use it with a different cassette when appropriate. Or sell the chain, if it's in good nick you ought to be able to turn it into a free or cheaper new chain.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chain worn out. Buy new chain, cut to correct length and put on bike. Then use the left over links from the new chain and add them to the old chain using two quick links and keep til you need it when the new chain wears out.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Of course if you're replacing DA with DA, then what Rolf said.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    As mentioned there are ways to add links but I think most shops will not do this due to the time vs. cost required for the fix and mixing unevenly worn links which may cause some minor problems which the customer can come back and blame the shop on. Understandably they are just protecting themselves. Best just to do it yourself.
  • cmhill79
    cmhill79 Posts: 139
    Thanks all. Good advice!!
  • I've just fitted a DA 7900 chain with an Ultegra 6700 cassette without problem. I used it becuase I had it lying around and it saved some cash on a new build however my LBS advised not to buy another and go for a KMC chain next time around (he sells both so no vested interest!). He says they just see too many broken DA chains.