A year cycling costs...

feemackenzie
feemackenzie Posts: 130
edited February 2014 in Workshop
A decent ride today but something not quite right - something was loose. Home, a quick brew and bike washed and then to the LBS. A quick look showed I need, at least, a new chain, new cassette and new bottom bracket. After 2,250 miles of cycling its about time I spent something on the mechanical parts.

Big thanks to Neil at Billy Bilsland, Glasgow. Great serve, better craic
Felt z95 - loving my first road bike

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Cheap innit?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Didn't happen to bump into Robert, did you?
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    The cassette and bottom bracket should last longer than that. I'm guessing your an all weather rider? Replacing your chain before it's too worn will save having to replace the cassette.

I've just replaced my BB at about 5k miles, though most estimates say it should have lasted longer.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Modern BBs with external bearing cups really don't seem to last too long sadly. Progress!

My square taper BB in the Audax bike has done over 25000km so far without issues. I have a spare set of bearings ready to go in before this summer as I think they should be changed at some point and I don't want the bike letting me down in the middle of nowhere for the sake of a relatively cheap consumable.

But, on the whole, cycling is cheap. As above, chains should be changed before they wear the cassette too much - a cassette should last 4 or more chains in my experience.

Better still - fixed wheel. I only do about 5000km a year on mine, but it costs me peanuts. New chain every year, bottom bracket (cheap sealed unit) every 2 years. Sprocket/chain rings - not replaced them in the 3 years I've had that bike!
  • I've recently replaced the BB on my Sora equipped bike, this was after about 3500miles. As has been said above, BB's do not last long anymore, square taper were by far the best for reliability and could even be serviced yourself.
  • marcusjb wrote:
    My square taper BB in the Audax bike has done over 25000km so far without issues. I have a spare set of bearings ready to go in before this summer as I think they should be changed at some point and I don't want the bike letting me down in the middle of nowhere for the sake of a relatively cheap consumable.

And don't forget SPA cycles will build you a chainset with any ring combination you want... while modern chainset come in two combinations only... progress!
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb wrote:

And don't forget SPA cycles will build you a chainset with any ring combination you want... while modern chainset come in two combinations only... progress!

Indeed, that's why I run a Specialities TA Carmina chainset on the Audax bike - I can chop and change the setup as I require.

Sadly, companies like Specialities TA will probably not be around too much longer and your choices will be limited to whatever Shimano/SRAM/Campagnolo want you to have or very niche, small manufacturers like Royce (for example) making very expensive, semi-custom, pieces.

Sad really.
  • Well Strava says 21 000km (over 2 years) on my Sworks BB30 and it's still absolutely fine.

I find cassettes are good for at least 10 000km, and chains at least 5000. (DA)

But I don't like riding in the wet.
  • marcusjb
    Well Strava says 21 000km (over 2 years) on my Sworks BB30 and it's still absolutely fine.

I think it's the last bit that is important for external BBs!
  • marcusjb wrote:
    Well Strava says 21 000km (over 2 years) on my Sworks BB30 and it's still absolutely fine.

I think it's the last bit that is important for external BBs!

My bike ( 7 year old Ridley Damocles ) has a square taper BB and I have ridden it in all weather for on average 150 to 200 miles per week and it is still going well. I have found I need to change the chain after 3 months and I can usually get 2 cassettes out of one chain. The front chain ring ( only use the outer ) needs replacing every year and a half with T/A's and original Campag outer rings last a little bit longer. Tyres last 4 to 6 months depending on weather/seasons, SpeedPlays last 3 to 4 years but the cleats which are expensive ( there are cheaper options out there, I like SpeedPlays) break after 6 months - on the whole I'd say I would spend on average about £500 a year on parts, sometimes I stock up if I see a bargain and it is always good to have spare parts. Clothing and shoes, that's another matter.

I suppose it depends on where you live, wet gravelly country lanes will definitely hurt the bike more than a wet city road and be more expensive to run. I am surprised the OP needs the BB need replacing though.

Chris