To seal or not to seal that is the question !

gunny_bedford
gunny_bedford Posts: 347
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
Thanks to a fellow forum member hopefully I will soon be getting my hands on a pair of Easton ea90 xc wheels.
On reading the eastern blurb on their website I noted they stated these wheels didn't need sealant when running tubeless.
As far as I was aware sealant is normally required either to help the wheels seal to the rims or to give the puncture protection which tubeless is famed for, so was a bit surprised re this comment.
I suppose no sealant will be the lightest option ever for tubeless, and suppose would be no different then riding with normal tubes in the puncture protection stakes, but I can't help but think some sealant would be a good thing ! Any comments / experience ?
Thanks Neil

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Tyres need sealant or they don't - I assume they mean the rim bed ie is UST compatible.
  • From the Easton site:

The EA90 XC wheelset was designed from the ground up for competitive trail riding and cross country racing. The aluminum rims are welded for an airtight UST seal right out of the box (no fussing with rim strips or sealant).
  • supersonic
    You have to use sealant with some tyres. No rim strips maybe, but some tyres (non UST carcass) need sealant.
  • Tubeless and UST aren't the same, basically.

UST tyres can be run without sealant on UST rims, although I've never tried it personally.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And UST tyres tend to be heavier than tubeless with sealant, which will then also seal a puncture, so the answer is obvious to me.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    UST is good, but heavy as the rookie says. I would always run sealant either way, although you could use less with UST - its only to seal holes not the whole rim and tyre bead.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ok thanks I wasn't taking into account ust being different from tubeless, I assumed both were similar. I can see the difference now. So the next issue would what is a good light( for ust) general all round tyre that could be recommended ??
  • supersonic
    Light UST are hard to find! In fact I don't really know of any. the old Tioga Red Phoenix was ok.
  • Thanks guess it's back to my trusty bottle of sealant and rocket Ron's/racing Ralph's !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You've got it now......

UST is a good idea, in practice it's pointless, just run 'conventional' tubeless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.