Goupset upgrade

KulaBen
KulaBen Posts: 220
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Evening all,
A couple of quick questions. I have 105 on my Cannondale, and am thinking of upgrading to Ultegra 6800 as there seems to be a few good deals on at the mo. 1st question: can you get something to make Shimano chainsets compatible with BB30? Second question- I have Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels that are a couple of years old. Will they be compatible with 11 speed?
Thanks for helping
Ben

Comments

• Weird one on Mavic. As I understand it they always needed a spacer for Shimano and SRAM cassettes. Because of this if you remove that spacer they are automatically 11 speed. Inadvertent apparently, but works.

On the BB question. Do you mean that you have BB30? If so, why not buy a BB30 chain set? Otherwise I think there are normal to BB30 convertors. Sounds over complex though.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • KulaBen
    Thanks Bendertherobot. I remember when I first got the wheels not putting the spacer in and wondering what the rattling was all about!
    Yes I've got a supersix with BB30. I'd thought about a BB30 chainset but all the good deals on Ultegra seem to be on full groupsets.That being said the old SRAM red has come down a lot in price. It would fix the BB30 problem, but create one with the bank manager.....
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Merlin have a good deal on the 6800 Sti at £199, I think that they do a deal if you buy the shifters and dérailleurs together....£247.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Bozman wrote:
    Merlin have a good deal on the 6800 Sti at £199, I think that they do a deal if you buy the shifters and dérailleurs together....£247.

How does that answer the OP's question?
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Sram force 22 ?
    BB30 chainset so no adapters.
    Similar price to ultegra 6800 and a bit lighter.
    I've had it a few months now and pretty impressed with it and thats coming from chorus.
    The new levers are much better than the old 10 speed jobbies.
    All depends on the colour of your supersix though !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    You will need an adapter of some description to get the Ultegra 6800 chainset to fit your Cannondale. A better option is to buy a BB30 chainset like the FSA SL-K which is 11 speed compatible and then buy the 6800 components you need. It can be more cost effective to buy the entire groupset and then sell the chainset.

This is what I have just done. Cant answer the question about the Mavic wheelset. My Fulcrums have a spacer that needs to be removed to make them 11 speed compatible. The Mavics may well be the same.

P
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I am pretty sure the current chainset would work with 11 speed chains. The inner spacing is the same.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    I have a similar issue. Have a 105 but don't like the gossamer FSA chainset. What did you decide in the end?
  • tonye_n wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

How does that answer the OP's question?

He could buy the ultegra parts he needs and then get a different BB30 chainset rather than buying a groupset and then either selling chainset or getting adaptors. I have a feeling on merlin it works out cheaper to select everything separately than buy it directly as a groupset, could be wrong though
  • KulaBen
    Cheers all.
    Not decided what to do yet- i take the Force 22 view- but my other bikes are all Shimano, so I know where i'm at with it. I may well buy groupset and a different chainset, as the 105 stuff is going to my Croix de Fer in the fullness of time and i'd like to get rid of the Tiagra dinner plate!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Chainring spacing on 11 speed chainsets is very slightly narrower compared to ten speed chainset but enough to normally make a difference.

Wheels manufacturing make the best 24mm axle to BB30 adapters. I see no problem with a ultegra crank in BB30. Personnally if you are buying a groupset I like all the parts to match.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If the groupset is working - then I dont really see that spending the cash is much of an upgrade. You'll not notice it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If the groupset is working - then I dont really see that spending the cash is much of an upgrade. You'll not notice it.