Garmin 510 worth it over the 500?

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I've just bust the rear tabs off my 500 so need a replacement. Is the 510 much better? I don't need the smart phone synch thing, just interested in the usability and GPS accuracy mainly.
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think the 510 is the most able GPS of all the Garmins (i.e. better than 810), as in it is more accurate (could be wrong though).

I also have a 500 and would probably either get another one (because it is small, Cheap and I probably would not use smart phone sync) or go all the way and get an 810.
  • It's more accurate particularly noticeable if you do mountain biking. The plots when you upload to Garmin connect / Strava will be more accurate. I do mountain bike club racing and my plots with a 510 are much more accurate than my mate running a 500. Out on the road which we both do, there's not a lot in it.

BTW, the tabs break of the 510 as well. Mine is away being repaired at the moment. I'm not sure they are up to mountain biking and being bounced around.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The 510 has a much nicer interface, more fields per screen, better switching between bike/activity profiles. I definitely think it's worth getting the 510 over the 500.
  • maddog 2
    Can you get a new back/tabs for the 500?

I've just emailed Garmin so we'll see if they suggest something...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    To your main question.

No.

How have the lugs broken off? Im very careful putting it on and off and I dont mount/dismount it unless I have to. Though I do accept its not the best design.

This is why I avoid the metal aftermarket mounts -harsh and too easy to beak the lugs off.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I have theG500 and don't think its anything special.

What does miff me though are my colleagues showing me their 5 quid apple aps that do everything the G500 does virtually at bugger all cost.

Would I buy a GPS bike computer again? No. They're like tom-toms, they've been consigned to history for all but the fanatic.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • maddog 2
    Overlord2 wrote:
    How have the lugs broken off?

I had the unit on my 8yr old daughters bike, and she tried to start the unit and pushed too hard... :cry:

I don't want a smartphone app. I'll see if I can have a play with the 510 and judge whether the visuals/touchscreen are worth the extra £
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have had all number of Garmins and other Computers.

I sold the 800 and bought the 810 for the supposed Battery life, might as well have not bothered, although it does load routes faster.

I had the 500 which I used where I didn't need the larger screen or route planning, it was OK but clunky to use, bought a 510 a few months ago and it has been used non stop as it is just so sweet to use, the 510 is perfect and I would hate to go back to a 500.
  • Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    I debated 500/510. Never owned either. Bought the 510. Dont regret it.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • I bought a 510 about 6 months ago and I don't regret it. If it broke today I would probably buy the same one again.

I weighed up the 500vs510 thing when I was looking and the completely customisable screens along with the smart phone live tracking and being able to upload did it for me.

Battery life is good without being mind blowing but then I do have it set to show the backlight constantly.

I would say a good 10 hours use is easily achieved, which is around a week's cycling for me.

I came from using a smartphone in a mount on the handlebars and whilst the data is excellent from the likes of run keeper and strava, you're going to struggle to get over a couple of hours AND still have any useable phone life left.
  • I've had a G500 for almost 2 years now, and it's been pretty reliable (not the HR strap though).

I would consider a 510, but being a bit of a weight weenie, I just can't handle idea of adding an extra 24g......
  • Just a note regarding the heart rate strap. My original hard plastic one started giving odd readings and eventually gave up altogether. I chatted with an advisor on their helpline and they sent me a replacement out straight away. It arrived and was a premium one. It's worth giving them a shout if yours is playing up
  • maddog 2
    so how does the 510 upload the ride data?

Do you have to use a smartphone to do this?

If not, is it just a USB plug-in like the 500?
  • You can use a smartphone but you don't have to. Otherwise it uses the regular uploader via a cable just like other Garmin devices (like my forerunner 210)
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I spent quite a while looking at both 500 & 510.

In the end I went with the 500.

This article played a part in my decision.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garm ... eview.html

Happy with my choice, particularly as I got a deal, but a 510 may well be perfect for your use.
  • maddog 2
    Garmin look like they're going to mend it, so that's a bonus.
  • maddog 2
    Just to update the thread...

Garmin replaced the damaged unit with a new one, so thank you very much Garmin :D . Nice one.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    Excellent result md2.

I have a 500 and this makes me a little nervous I must say.
    Was your unit under a year old?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    I have theG500 and don't think its anything special.

What does miff me though are my colleagues showing me their 5 quid apple aps that do everything the G500 does virtually at bugger all cost.

Would I buy a GPS bike computer again? No. They're like tom-toms, they've been consigned to history for all but the fanatic.

Oh come on. There is no way a dedicated bike GPS is as good as a phone app. It just isn't.

Battery life? touch screen? use off line? waterproof.....the list goes on and on...

There's no way I would get rid of my 800 and use a phone app :shock:
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    Garmin look like they're going to mend it, so that's a bonus.

Garmin recently replaced my 800 when it broke outside of it's warranty.

I've also had 4 x cadence sensors & 1 x HRM from them. Their stuff may break, but at least they stand by their product with customer service support. The original 800 had done 6,000 miles in all conditions.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • maddog 2
    Daniel B wrote:
    Excellent result md2.

I have a 500 and this makes me a little nervous I must say.
    Was your unit under a year old?

No it was a few years old. It had done at least 16,000 miles, so pretty good going.