How much use can you expect from a

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Pair of gloves ?
I bought a pair of these in November http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -12-35744/ .
They have been used for about 150 miles per week , today i noticed a tear on the palm of the glove , no crashes , washed as per instructions.
I have been cycling for a year or so and are new to bike gear , so am not sure how long it lasts.
Instinctively I feel these gloves have worn before there time and was going back to my LBS to see what they thought.
What do you think ?
regards
ILG

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Take them back. 2 months is not acceptable. LBS should either replace on the spot or send back to distributor/manufacturer and await their verdict.

I've taken stuff back after much longer periods of time and my LBS has sent it back to the manufacturer for warranty replacement without hesitation. It took about a month to get new stuff but it's worth the wait.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • +1 2 months = not fit for purpose and retailer should replace or refund under warranty and they square it with the manufacturer.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    To repair / extend the life of a pair of gloves, I used a product called 'Shoe Goo' - spread it over the thin / weak areas and let it dry - maybe several days, and it smells bad...
    It forms a tough flexible skin that is very durable.

The gloves that had the problem have palms made of thin, rough-out, suede type leather - they began to rip after only a few rides....

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    My gloves get soaked with sweat every time I ride and with min 3 rides a week they last @18 months on average. I wash them in the machine after every ride. Usually its the velco strap that parts at the back rather than a split or whatever on the front. I pay about 20 quid a pair so expect a good product.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Mind made up after reading the replies.
    Visiting my LBS today.
    I will update you with what the crack is .
    regards
    ILG
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    2 months is not acceptable. Within 6 months they will replace with no questions.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cheers chaps.
    Went back to LBS , no problem offered me an exchange or a different glove to same value.
    Choose the Sealskin all weather glove, checked on Bikeradar reviews and they get a 1 1/2 star rating !!!!
    So i have swapped a great pair of gloves with a 5 star review but tear easy for a poor rated glove.
    Well i can do a test of the glove which will test the test carried out by BR.if you see what i mean ?
    regards
    ILG
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Why didn't you replace them with the same glove? It is likely that yours suffered a manufacturing fault.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Why didn't you replace them with the same glove? It is likely that yours suffered a manufacturing fault.
    This is what I asked myself riding home last night !
    Anyhow it will soon be summer and gloves will be a distant memory .
    regards
    ILG
  • Update
    Immpesions afetr a coule of rides ,rubbish.
    ILG
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Update
    ILG

Wow, they're so bad they've rendered you unintelligible.
  • ilovegrace wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    This is what I asked myself riding home last night !
    Anyhow it will soon be summer and gloves will be a distant memory .
    regards
    ILG

Wish I lived where you do!
  • ilovegrace wrote:
    Update
    ILG
    Noxcusefortitrealy !!

Wow, they're so bad they've rendered you unintelligible.