Campag hub

skinnydog
skinnydog Posts: 50
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi, is it possible to use an 8 speed block with a spacer on Chorus/Record 9*10 speed hubs?

Got a Chorus 8 groupset, but need new hubs. Seem to be plenty for sale that 9/10 speed, but cant find many 8 speed hubs around.

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Unfortunately not, spline pattern on Campagnolo changed from 8 to 9 so they're not compatible. Campagnolo's own solution at the time was to take a 9 speed cassette like a Mirage or Veloce, drop the biggest sprocket and fit 8-speed spacers.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Depends on the splines... Campagnolo changed the splines at some point during the 8 speed era... if you have the PRE Exadrive cassette, it won't go on the new free hub.
    The PRE exadrive sprockets have all the splines equal, while the exadrive have one spline which is different

Alles Klaar?
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    I was about to sell one or two sets of campag record 8 speed hub hand built wheels that are gathering dust, and a set of Shamals all more or less perfect/unused condition. PM me if interested and i'll let you know what I've got. Around £250 per pair including record cassette.
    Colnago Addict!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It is possible to use a 9 speed veloce cassette and a wheels manufacturing Shift 8 kit drop one sprocket and replace the spacers with the WMF one and vola an 8 speed cassette on a 9/10/11 speed freehub. I sell the WMF kits for people like you who have this problem.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • There is also a Campag kit that allows the re-spacing of a 9 speed cassette to 8 speed, dropping the last sprocket - Campagnolo's part number is KIT-03.

You do need the ED spline pattern cassette body & sprockets for it to work as noted earlier in this thread and the lockring needs to be done up TIGHT ... that 42 nm torque *really* needs to be adhered to. The problem is that Campagnolo deepened the splines on the 9/10/11s body as it's alloy, in order to spread any leading-edge load over a bigger area. The 8s hub had a harder, steel body and the splines were a lot shallower ... if you are mounting shallow-spline sprockets to the alloy cassette body, they will cut the alloy to ribbons along the leading edge unless you take steps to minimise movement by locking the sprockets down fully.

HTH
    Graeme