Route advice: Charlton to Westminster

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Will be leaving the climbs of Muswell Hill and heading south-east for the first time as a Londoner - wondering what's the 'best' commute journey from Charlton up into Westminster?

It terms of timings (as I know that can make a massive difference to the commute) - most likely to be leaving some time around 06.45 and heading back on the return journey at around 17.30.

Ta.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Depending on where in sunny Charlton you are living, then the routes are relatively simple and limited!

If near the top of the hill, then A2, across Blackheath, down and through to Deptford/New Cross and then up Old Kent Road/New Kent Road across and over to Westminster Bridge.

If near the bottom, then you'll have to go into Greenwich, out the other side and over to Deptford, join A2 then its New Cross and as above.

If you're nearer Victoria, then you could also go New Cross through to Vauxhall on the new CS5 (bleagh)...

Not a lot a of choice really.
  • lastant
    Thanks Pufftmw, like most of London (I've had quite a few rented places now) it sounds like there's pretty much one route or a slightly different one to get into the centre!

Will actually be pretty close to the station so looks like it's the Greenwich option, although may take on the climb in the mornings every now and then. Work is the Westminster end of Victoria Road so not sure I'll need to touch CS5.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • lastant
    Well, it's certainly not a nice route is it?!

Started this week and settled on an A2/Tower Bridge/Embankment 'Z-shaped' route this morning, having done a silly meander in yesterday - I think this is the best option in terms of not getting stuck in too much traffic, although New Cross is just silly.

I miss my North-South route already!
  • I ride from Charlton to the City, down through Greenwich park, then Deptford, Surrey Quays, Bermondsey and across London Bridge. Not great either, but a Vast improvement on the A2 and New Cross if you ask me.
    Red/white Felt F75 '09
    Cannon St-Charlton.