Boardman FS 2009 snapped chainstay

2»

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Go see the orthopaedic surgeons - they might have some spare titanium lying around :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Cable ties.

Cable ties and gaffer tape.

Oh, hang on. No, that's the bedroom, not the workshop...
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Halfords have come back to me now. In a nutshell they reckon there's a good chance they have a matching swing arm they can get hold of, possibly off a Carrera frame or similar. They've asked me to bring the bike in and leave it with them to check on. Nothing to lose here really so may nip it in there this evening. No idea of costs yet tho...
  • nasha48
    Update for anyone interested - Halford have found a "near matching" swing arm and have fitted it all on ready for me to collect. Pretty chuffed really, though I obviously wont be fully satisfied till I see it and more importantly give it a good ride. On the downside it's silver which, against the black of the rest of the frame, makes it pretty obvious I've now got a cut'n'shut bike! Also a bit annoyed that I didn't make it clear to them that I really just wanted them to find suitable parts so that I could fix it up myself, but they've done it all for a cost of £80 - seems on the steep side to me?? Swing arm itself I'm being charged £80 also.

Anyone reckon I've got good grounds to knock that price down at all or should I just be happy that I should (hopefully) be able to get back out on it this weekend, which is something I definately didn't see happening.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nasha48 wrote:
    Also a bit annoyed that I didn't make it clear to them that I really just wanted them to find suitable parts so that I could fix it up myself...
    Anyone reckon I've got good grounds to knock that price down at all or should I just be happy that I should (hopefully) be able to get back out on it this weekend.
    Seriously?
    Some people are never happy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nasha48
    Ha!! I know. "Pretty chuffed really" should have been in bold to tell the truth as it's the overiding feeling.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Nasha48 wrote:
    "near matching"

Near matching? Hmmm...
  • nasha48
    Mm yeh I know Dan. This is partly why I wanted to fit it myself. Not sure what I've got yet until I pick it up tomorrow. My apprehension could have been avoided if I'd just made myself a bit clearer. Still, soon see... :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd guess the part is the same, just different paint.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nasha48

This is what I've got - not a bad result really. New chainstay section taken off a new "Canzo" (Carrera?)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Voodoo
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • nasha48
    Oh right ok, Voodoo. Quick 10 min ride round block and chain snapped up a hill! First chain I've ever had snap. Pretty sure I know why now - the new chainstay is almost 20mm longer than previous one, hence this must obviously put a lot more strain on the chain. Luckily, the chain is fairly worn anyway and I have a new one (+cassette and middle chainring) to fit on in the garage. Also, the suspension feels a bit softer now what with the increased length of the wheelbase, guess I just need to inject a little more air in the shock to compensate.
  • 97th choice
    You are going to need a longer chain to compensate, measure around the two big rings with the chain not running through the rear mech and add a couple of links to that.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    I would be a bit worried about riding that if the stays are 20mm longer as you have now got a different leverage ratio which could cause other parts of the frame to break under increased stress...
  • nasha48
    Yep longer chain required I realise. Fizik - this did cross my mind actually but didn't dwell on the thought for long. As you say, the altered geometry must also alter the load over the frame. However, I'm just gonna have to go for it and hope for the best. I don't really do anything that pushing DH and not much of a jumper either, but I do appreciate the significant stress on the frame when grinding deep uphill. If I put some more air in the rear shock that should help a bit no?

Can't look back now anyway.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    See how it goes, if it's your only option at least you have a working bike. Its just if you have already broken the chainstays once I am guessing you weren't riding to the shops when it happened. Putting more air in the shock will help you having too much sag yes.

Just ride and enjoy but something to keep an eye on. Maybe would have some comeback on halfords it did go wrong?
  • 97th choice
    On second thoughts you may also have problems with your rear mech cable and brake hose due to the increased length.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • nasha48
    Ksake, hadn't thought of that at all 97, cheers.