What hybrid for a larger cyclist

fatboyno5
fatboyno5 Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
I currently commute 19 miles each way 2 or 3 times a week along a mix of old railway track and Tarmac. Which means a hybrid is ideal for my needs.
At the moment, I ride a raleigh sport 100 hybrid which is starting to show its age and with riding throughout winter, the lack of disk brakes is becoming an issue.
My plan is to upgrade fairly soon to another hybrid but with hydraulic disk brakes. I've no other functional requirements really other than it needs to be fairly robust and large as I am 6'2" and around 18 stone.

Any recommendations on a suitable bike? Budget is up to £800.
Thanks

Comments

• Have a look at Whyte bikes , I have a Stirling and use it for general duties and an occasional sportive , it's well specked comfy and smart to look at and in 18 months has proved to be very sturdy . They also do other models in range that are cheaper .
  • bendip
    bendip Posts: 114
    I've commuted to work for the past 2 yrs on a Boardman Team Hybrid
    I'm 16 stone and it's been fine, use tyres sympathetic to the surfaces
    you'll face and the 2014 version might suit you, with a decent budget for
    a commuter like yours i'd be tempted by a cx bike, lots of choice out
    there..spend some time searching cx threads on here loads of bikes
    being recommended as fast all rounders
    Tell the stars I'm coming,
    make them leave a space for me;
    whether bones, or dust,
    or ashes once among them I'll be free
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Boardman is a good road biased Hybrid, for something capable of rougher surfaces then the Voodoo Marassa (also at Halfords) is a decent bike, slightly wider tyres (you can go slightly thinner and more road orientated if you want).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.