How are pressfit bottom bracket tool so expensive?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited January 2014 in Workshop
after advice on this site i decided to have a go at removing and installing a pressfit bb without the proper tools, i just used some threaded bar, nuts and washers which cost about 4 quid.

why are the proper tools so expensive, some up to like 50 quid! do they do other things too?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    +1 Took the same approach as you when faced with fitting a new headset on my bike build project. A potential outlay of over £100 for a Park headset press was definitely out of the question.

I think these high priced items are probably aimed at LBS workshops where they will be used fairly frequently and where the cost can be recouped. The Park version is also designed to cope with various sizes and styles of headset.

Certainly wasn't going to fork out that level of wedge for a job that would be done once only. I popped out to the local B&Q and bought a long threaded nut and bolt plus a couple of large heavy duty plate washers. With care and patience it was a relatively straightforward job to get the new bearing cups installed. Just tackled one at a time and made sure that the new cup was being offered up correctly at the start.
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    Chris

Can pass on ur advice... Plan to service my press fit shimano bb

Cheers
  • Tools are expensive because they are meant for professional use. They therefore use good quality steel and high precision machining.
    It's a good thing that tools are expensive... it means they are good. My experience with cheap tools is that they are crap...
    left the forum March 2023
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1

Just to state the obvious...

good tools last longer, work better, are less likely to make a mess of the job, and are nicer to use.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The only problem is that expensive tools really are expensive - so people look for something that is still expensive but not that expensive and then make the mistake of thinking stuff like Park, which fits the bill, is reliably good.

Much of the time, it doesn't make that much difference though. Regular maintenance of the bike is likely to mean that things don't get siezed up and therefore you don't put your tools to great strain. Tools for professional use are designed to be able to be used on things that have been owned by anyone from the fastidious to the careless. If you maintain your own bike, you probably don't need them (though you might understandably want them!).
    Faster than a tent.......