Fitting front crudguard to bike with cable on bottom of fram

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited January 2014 in The workshop
I've got some crudguards on my old MTB, and wanted to move them to the replacement. Changed the back one over, but the front one is the type that straps on the bottom of the frame (similar to this, but black http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 2&t=243012 ). The frame on the new bike has cables running along the bottom, so the crudguard would be strapped right onto the cables. Can someone confirm that I'm right in thinking this would be a bad idea, and there's not an obvious fix to this that I'm missing :oops:

Thanks!

Comments

• On the ones I have got you have a choice of fixing them with bolts or using the elastic. If I remember correctly you can use the bolt guide holes to position on the frame but then there is space for the cables to go down the side of the bolt holes. You should not then have a problem of pinching the cables.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    never been an issue. just fit and adjust the gears as needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Thanks. If mine did come with bolt-fittings, I don't have them any more :oops:

Strapping them over the cable and then adjusting if needed shouldn't do any harm, then? Somehow feels wrong...

EDIT: felt like a ride after the rain stopped tonight, so strapped the guard on the bottom of the frame over the cable. If it made a difference, I didn't notice it :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    notnot wrote:
    Thanks. If mine did come with bolt-fittings, I don't have them any more :oops:

Strapping them over the cable and then adjusting if needed shouldn't do any harm, then? Somehow feels wrong...

EDIT: felt like a ride after the rain stopped tonight, so strapped the guard on the bottom of the frame over the cable. If it made a difference, I didn't notice it :)
    If it came with bolt fittings there would be holes in the bottom of the downtube.

I have a crud catcher on my MTB with BB routed cables, never had an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I have one of those on my Kona MTB that has downtube/under BB cable routing. You route the rubber straps on the inside of the cables and around the downtube, through the 2 slots then attach to the 2 hooks on the underside of the crud. That way you don't interfere with the cable operation, never had any problems with the front or rear shifting with mine.