wheels for the PR challenge

src1
src1 Posts: 301
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've signed up for the Paris Roubaix challenge in April and would like some advice on what wheels to use.

I've got a selection of wheels I could use but I'm not against buying new rims/spokes if it’s going to help me! I'm thinking of using 28mm Continental 4 seasons and riding my Kinesis TK2 winter trainer shorn of its mudguards rather than my best bike (Look 585).

Wheels I've currently got:
1. Mavic Ksyrium ES (quite old but plenty of wear left in the rims)
2. New H Plus Son Archetype on Dura-Ace 9000 hubs, 24h radial front, 28h 2x rear, CX-Ray all round
3. Open Pro rims on 105 hubs, DT competition spokes, 32h front and rear, 3x. Have done about 1000 miles on these so far
4. Dura-Ace 7700 32h hubs with worn out Ambrosio Excellence rims (could put some new rims on these)

Which of these wheels would be best?

Would I be better off putting something like Velocity A23 rims on the old DA7700 hubs?

BTW, suggestions for tyres welcome too, although I've never used tubs so unlikely to take that option.

Thanks for any help.
Rob.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I would use hardest wearing clinchers you have. forget about tubulars. I was out riding in Belgium last weekend and the wind and roads make it brutal after a while. nearly everyone I was riding with was in bits after 4 hours. I rode using Fulcrum 5s and 25mm ultremos and had no problems. uou have to try and get as comfortable as you can or you will suffer.
  • Probably the Open Pros. Kinda depends if you're a hefty unit or not? Don't think it's worth rebuilding wheels for one ride, not sure I would bother with that.

I would suggest for tyres going for the biggest tyre your frame will allow. If that's a 28mm Conti 4 Seasons, that's fine. I wouldn't ride with tubs, if you run out of all your spares, you are more likely to be able to get a spare inner tube from someone that a tub. There was a thread about using tubs at Roubaix a while back, had some other tips in there as well.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Probably the Open Pros. Kinda depends if you're a hefty unit or not? Don't think it's worth rebuilding wheels for one ride, not sure I would bother with that.

I would suggest for tyres going for the biggest tyre your frame will allow. If that's a 28mm Conti 4 Seasons, that's fine. I wouldn't ride with tubs, if you run out of all your spares, you are more likely to be able to get a spare inner tube from someone that a tub. There was a thread about using tubs at Roubaix a while back, had some other tips in there as well.

Thanks, only 64Kg so not hefty enough for PR really! I think the H Plus Son's wide rim would be better than the Open Pros, but I'd prefer 32h, hence the dilemma. I had the thought of putting some Velocity A23s on the old DA hubs. The ERD is the same as the old rims, so quite an inexpensive way of putting some nice hubs to use...

Thanks for the link.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited January 2014
    Tubs is what would use and carry 2 spare tubs plus some pitstop also use tough tubs (pave, ardenburg's conti gatorkin sprinters e.t.c). You can hole clinchers more times than you have tyre boots, I have done that before. I'd take the cheapest wheels you have the OP's on 105 hubs as if you crash and wreck your wheels you have not lost much. The archetypes though would be good is a wide tyre a 27mm or 28mm. I don't think it is a course for skinny tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I see your point about using the same spokes and hubs, but you'll still have to get new rims just for one ride. Do you have another use for them once you have done it? Doesn't seem worth it when you already have wheels that will do the job.

I think for Roubaix it's the tyres that really count. As I said, as big as you can get on your bike and run 'em at a lower pressure.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Take the bike that takes the fattest tyres and run them at lower pressures - for your weight, 28mm tyres at 4.5 - 5 bar pressure should be fine.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..