Giant Anthem 26 vs 29er (vs 27.5...)

iainmunro
iainmunro Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, first post on here.

Considering getting my first FS bike in the next few months, do a little bit at trail centres but big XC days are what I enjoy most. After a lot of reading and trying to sit on as many bikes as possible I've narrowed it down to the Anthem which seems to fit the bill for what I do.

My question is has anybody ridden the 26 and the 29er (or maybe even the 27.5) to make a direct comparison.

I seem to be getting so much conflicting advice about which wheel size I should go for, anybody got any specific pointers/experience of the Anthem to help?

Trying not to let the cost factor influence my decision too much but old season 26ers are a good bit cheaper than 29ers...

Thanks for any advice, I'm sure I'll be happy with whichever bike I decide to go for but would be good to hear of your experiences.

IM

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a 26" Anthem. It's a perfect bike for big days and big miles. I would buy a 29er next time, it should be even faster and easier.
  • Thanks, I've not really heard anything bad about the Anthem.

Has anyone gone back to their 26 after trying the 29er?

IM
  • flatpat
    flatpat Posts: 78
    I have a 26" Anthem and have tried my mate's 29" Anthem a couple of times. Specs are identical, bar the 29er's double chainset rather than the 26er's triple.

I'd say I prefer it - smooths out the trail chatter that bit more, and I didn't notice any downside in the turns - this on a tight and twisty, rooty woodland trail.

Nothing wrong with the 26" which I'm very happy with and don't plan to change for a few years, but given the option to choose from scratch, I'd go for the 29er.
  • Hi, put post up last night "Giant Anthem 2014 Fox CTD travel length" which explains my view a bit better.
    Very similar situation.
    Just took delivery on Giant Anthem X29er 1 from Formby Cycles on 3 yrs interest free credit. They also had a 10% refund in goods.
    I'm not too keen on the Monarch rear shocks on some of the bikes (as I blew mine with my lardy 18 stone on a different bike).
    Also I wanted the best I could afford knowing I will be keeping it for years and the Fox were just too irresistible.
    A promise to the "other half" to get the decorating done before the new carpets arrive, had me grounded this weekend!
    so I'm no wiser to this bike, but the hire of Giant Anthem 3 last year blew my brains out.

My view, a light 29er will role over the small stuff and on a long Endurance XC ride will save energy. I did the 12 HR Dusk Till Dawn last year, and every save is a plus.
    XC events/rides aren't too technical, so the flickablity isn't so paramount (although the Anthem is meant to have this).
    The 27.5 are a middle ground or the "Best of Both Worlds". We've all heard arguments about rotational force and the extra weight of 29er's or no noticeable difference, but the simple fact is that a 29er is much smoother over small obstructions (like miles of fire tracks, roots etc), do improve climbing.
    look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jVHrS-jsF8
    I love my old 26", hated the thought of a 29er. But 26 are on the way out and with them so will the tyres choices in the future.
    27.5 is now the replacment for most bikes and will do anything.
    The 29er is perfectly suited for XC and the Anthem is described as one of the best bike in the world for doing this sub£2k.
    If your paying cash and have a lower budget, you'll be very hard pushed to find a better bike than the Anthem 3 or 1 2013! (but if its with credit, you'll only get interest free on the this years bike, so the payment are the same for X29 er 1)
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    26" will be around for years but 29" would definitely br my choice on a short travel xc bike although Giant are discontinuing 29ers next year.