Decent cable operated front brake calliper?

unixnerd
unixnerd Posts: 2,864
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm after a half decent front calliper for my XC bike, cable operated as I don't want to change my levers. I want something where both sides of the calliper move to ensure even pad wear, years ago I had Tektro callipers and I was forever adjusting them. Currently my old Marin has V brakes, time to move on!

I fancied the Gusset Chute but can only find it with 180mm discs and I need 160s. Is there any reason I can't use a calliper designed for 180s with 160s?

Upgrading as I only go mountain biking if the weather's bad and the V brakes are pretty poor in the wet.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just use the correct adaptor for the disc size you want.

Or in this case no adaptor needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    avid BB7's but for the cost hydraulics are better
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Avid BB5/7 are the only cable disc brakes that come close to the performance of hydraulics, the BB7 is lighter but still heavier than most hydraulics) but costs more than a reasonable hydraulic.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.