How does this bike spec stack up?

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
I don't need so many bikes (currently 3) and I am looking to replace a road bike and a mtb with a single bike primarily for use on a 10 km each way commute involving mainly cycle paths and roads, have 700c wheels and to have the capability to mount a rear rack and (if possible) mudguards. As I find the hydraulic discs on the mtb work very well, I'd like to have them again. The guy in the shop says he has a 2012 Kona Dew Deluxe in my size (49cm) which he can build up for me for the price of $700 which is around £400.

I found a spec on the bike here:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-deluxe-2012-hybrid-bike-ec034478#features

This bike on the face of it seems to tick all the boxes in terms of spec and cost. I'm struggling to make sense of the quality and performance of the components. I don't expect top of the range stuff but neither do I want to be replacing components in 6-12 months down the line and after 1 season of use. What are the opinions on the suitability of the components on this bike (assuming they are reasonably maintained) to last a couple of years at least (consumables such as tyres, pads,excepted)?

Thanks

Comments