Work stand

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Anyone bought one of these? It's made by zee Germans so should be pretty good for the money. If not this then any others recommended for under £50

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks fine but I bet it's made in China like most.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
  • dlc03
    dlc03 Posts: 1
    I've not bought one, but it looks to be the same item as for sale on amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jago-FRMS01-bic ... B008POQQYW where it gets generally pretty good reviews.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I'd actually recommend a bottom bracket mount workstand rather than a clamp, bottom bracket mount workstands are a lot more stable, hold the bike more firmly and allow you to work on both sides of it without a clamp arm getting in the way.

I use this one - http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m8b9s ... wgodoW8AAQ - It doesnt handle oddly shaped tubes, like on carbon fibre bikes, very well but other than that its really good.

There are others like the Elite Spindoctor, Tacx T3000, etc but they are a bit more on the pricey side.
  • Niceone guys, looks like I'll be ordering one on payday. Thanks to dlc I'm going to order via Amazon as the reviews are really good, the only 3 star it gets is due to poor delivery for one guy so that's promising.

ej2320 your £50 planetx stand looks a lot like this £30 one on eBay? I'm not saying their the same but pretty similar.

Miceden I have a funny shaped down tube on the camber so wouldn't want to risk it not fitting
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    You'd imagine for that price it would be made from cheese and elastic bands, but from the reviews it would seem not.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • To be fair Angus even that much cheese and elastic bands would cost more than £30 :?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Ha ha, yes, that much Cornish Cruncher don't come cheap!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    You'd imagine for that price it would be made from cheese and elastic bands, but from the reviews it would seem not.

That looks very similar to the LIDL one I bought for £30 in summer. I took it straight back. There was just way too much flex in the plastic top T piece - try do anything on with the bike and it just bounced around like it was suspended on bungees.
  • cooldad

That looks very similar to the LIDL one I bought for £30 in summer. I took it straight back. There was just way too much flex in the plastic top T piece - try do anything on with the bike and it just bounced around like it was suspended on bungees.
    You do realise it's for push bikes, not motor bikes?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:

You do realise it's for push bikes, not motor bikes?

You do realise you're the planet's least funny man?...

Oh, and "motorbike" is one word.
  • cooldad
    No humour intended. Just helping you out as you do seem to confuse the two occasionally.

And by occasionally I mean all the time.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    No humour intended. Just helping you out as you do seem to confuse the two occasionally.

And by occasionally I mean all the time.

You couldn't be funny if you tried, but the unintentional irony of your post was hilarious. :lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I bought my mate one of those Lidl ones as a gift - we worked on a couple of bikes on it and I thought it was pretty sound.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • You'd imagine for that price it would be made from cheese and elastic bands, but from the reviews it would seem not.

What did you get instead? Tbh for £30 I'm not expecting it to be the best on the market but if I can get a years use out of it before having to brace it up I'll be happy
  • Kowalski675

What did you get instead? Tbh for £30 I'm not expecting it to be the best on the market but if I can get a years use out of it before having to brace it up I'll be happy

Nothing yet. Figured I'd rather wait until I could spare the cash for something decent, rather than waste £30 on a stand that was crap.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Only issue i had with the Lidl stand was the mount for the clamp slid off while tightening it. If you slide it off there is a bolt hole, so all i did was drill the plastic and affix a bolt, solved. Bar that its been perfect for the money
  • Step83 wrote:
    Only issue i had with the Lidl stand was the mount for the clamp slid off while tightening it. If you slide it off there is a bolt hole, so all i did was drill the plastic and affix a bolt, solved. Bar that its been perfect for the money

Exactly the info I needed cheers, there is always a way to make these things stronger and I really don't mind bodging a £30 stand if it gets me 2/3 yrs use out of it. Got PLENTY of other things on my shopping list right now so save where I can :)
  • Kowalski675
    Step83 wrote:

Exactly the info I needed cheers, there is always a way to make these things stronger and I really don't mind bodging a £30 stand if it gets me 2/3 yrs use out of it. Got PLENTY of other things on my shopping list right now so save where I can :)

The issue with the Lidl one I bought was the flex in the plastic top T piece - the only way you could have solved it woukd be to throw it away and replace it with a metal one (something like a scaffolding T piece). As it was, the stand was as much use as a chocolate fireguard. With all that flex going on I doubt it would've been too long before it started cracking either.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I got the lidl one, even with my covert which is a pretty heavy bike it's fine no worry of flex, perfect for £30...
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Another L'daal stand here. No problems here. Have used it to strip down a 17kg Kona FR rig and it was fine.
  • Kowalski675
    You must've got different stands to the one I got then... :lol:
  • You must've got different stands to the one I got then... :lol:

Maybe your bike is heavier than you thought :wink: either that or your a bit heavy handed :lol:

Either way I'm gonna give it a go, I couldn't buy the raw materials to build my own for £30 and going by the reviews and what's been said here it seems their pretty good except the odd one :)
  • Kowalski675
    You must've got different stands to the one I got then... :lol:

Maybe your bike is heavier than you thought :wink: either that or your a bit heavy handed :lol:

Neither of the above, it was just a crap stand. If the T piece had been metal it would've been great, but with the plastic one it was just pants - half bike stand, half Zebedee.
  • Actually just looking at this again to the people that have owned or know someone that has, I presume there is no issue using the clamp on the seat post?
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Nope, mine clamps fine to a normal seatpost. I would clamp on the frame with the bike with a dropper on it though.
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    Nope, mine clamps fine to a normal seatpost. I would clamp on the frame with the bike with a dropper on it though.

Can't afford a dropper so no issue :wink: cheers
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Plastic t piece? Mine is metal with a plastic clamp, albeit plastic coated metal....?

I only clamp the top tube on my mtb as I use a dropper clamping a dropper post is stupid in my opinion. You normally only have to sneeze near one for it to break so not worth risking IMNSHO
  • Kowalski675
    Russyh wrote:
    Plastic t piece? Mine is metal with a plastic clamp, albeit plastic coated metal....?

It was plastic on mine. The vertical and horizontal tubes were metal, but joined by a moulded pastic T piece, which just had far too much flex.
  • It was plastic on mine.
    Maybe they forgot to put the metal in your one :lol: would explain why everyone else's have been fine :?

Tell ya what if I buy it and it turns out to be chit I will personally make a new thread saying how right you are about these particular stands :wink::lol: