Genuine or Fake?

ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
The FSA carbon stem I want is about £110

They are on ebay for about £40 from places like Urankine. Does that mean they are fake?
Why so much cheaper to get it shipped from Europe than buy from Wiggle?

Comments

• Apply the old adage, if it looks too good to be true it probably is?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    There's shed loads of fake FSA, 3T and Ritchey on the net, I wouldn't touch a carbon stem, seat post or handlebar on eBay.
    I feel that folk are buying boxes of the stuff from the Chinese wholesalers and passing it on, once it's in the system you don't know what you're buying, new or second hand. There was lots of carbon FSA and Ritchey being sold from Northern Ireland a while back, either someone had knocked off CRC or they'd had a large shipment from the east.

I nearly got burnt a while back with a some second hand 3T bars, the seller seemed fine with good feedback and history but when I got the bars they just didn't seem right, luckily for me I already had the same bars on another bike so I could compare. I got a refund without a quibble. Lesson learned.
  • ^whs
    Ukrainian scammers
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • How do you fake a chainset , box and branded BB's ?

Seen some FSA Chainsets from the Ukraine. They arent 2013/14.
  • ednino
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Fake, I would never buy from that part of the world.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FSA-SL-K- ... 51b7e5605d

????? - Dont look fake. Sometimes people get back of the lorry / clearance / shipped direct parts too. ?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    It could be a genuine fake stem or a fake genuine stem. :?
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    The stem is defo a fake, all os-99 and k-force light have titanium bolts which have a slightly domed end, you might end up chewing your front tyre lol.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Another £30 on your £40 and you can get a Deda Superleggero alloy stem that is a lot lighter than the fake (or real) FSA one. It isn't even a proper carbon stem - just carbon wrap over alloy; can't see that being worth £110. What the fake is made of is any ones guess.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ednino
    Might stick with KCNC & keep the weight down
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    How do you fake a chainset , box and branded BB's ?
    Quite easily if you have the right tools
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y