New wheels!

teiti93
teiti93 Posts: 28
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Im selling my new fulcrum 5 wheels which came with my Merak, and want to get something light and stiff.
Since im only 1.72m and weight 58kg i'm not sure if i want highprofile wheels like 50mm. I like clinchers, but are there any reasons to go tubular for everyday use(not going to race this year)?
Handbuilt? Factory? China-wheels?

I've done a lot of research and still find myself no closer to a solution/buy.
I've looked at Rs81 cl24, mavic ksyrium elites, planet x carbon highprofile etc, the one im most into contra price is the ksyrium elite(400€). Or should i honestly just keep the fulcrum 5?

I live in flat windy Denmark, but i live in an area where there's hills if you aim for them, and thats what i like to do.

Hope you can help me out. Thanks
/Teit

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Ksirium Elites would be my choice, stiff and good for climbing according to reports. I am also a light rider and would steer clear of the deeper profile wheels as I get blown about in cross winds using 30mm deep rims. :)
  • Why do you want 50 mm deep rims, when you weigh little more than your bike, live in a very windy country and like the hills??

It just doesn't make sense
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Windy area, light rider - has to be low profile wheels for sure.

Tubs are nice and Ambrosio do a nice rim but it will not look like a carbon deep section wheel (which you do not need but sound like you want).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • teiti93
    teiti93 Posts: 28
    Maybe i have set my mind too much up for the deep rim, while it may just be a disadvantage rather than an improvement.
    So low profile it is. Is the ksyrium elite best buy for money? Wouldn't want to pay too much for clincher set(max 6-700£).. Think im set for the clincher, since that's what im used to.
  • diamonddog
    Elites always seem to be well liked by the people that own them.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    £700 for a clincher will get you a world of choice - the world is bigger than Mavic.

You could get a really really nice set of handbuilts for that.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • diamonddog
    ^^This