New brakes, old cables

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I've just bought a set of Ultegra 6800s to replace my naff Shimano R651s but forgot to buy new inners.

Am I likely to have any issues just swapping the calipers and sticking with the current cables?
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If the cables aren't frayed, you shouldn't have any problems.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    It's very unlikely you will be able to thread used inners through the outer housings. Where the cable clamps to the brake it crushes the cable making it the wrong shape to fit through. Most of the time, New shifters come pre fitted with cables? Always gear, often brake too.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    Usually I can feed used cables through the cables and ferrules. You just need to do it delicately. The cables should not be squashed at the ends. Once you cut them if the cable is squashed then gently squash in the opposite direction with pliers so they are round again then stick a paper clip down the cable and open up the cable liner. This should help reduce friction.
  • birdie23
    mattv wrote:
    It's very unlikely you will be able to thread used inners through the outer housings. Where the cable clamps to the brake it crushes the cable making it the wrong shape to fit through. Most of the time, New shifters come pre fitted with cables? Always gear, often brake too.

Maybe I'm wide of the mark but I was just going to unclamp the cable from the old brake, remove the old brake, attach the new brake and reattach the cable... It would never leave the outer housing.

EDIT: Ahh you mean if replacing the shifter? I'm only changing the callipers.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Ah, my bad. Sorry, you should be fine replacing calipers. I read levers somehow....
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Brake cables cost about £2 each. If you're fitting those nice expensive 6800 calipers maybe you should splash out and get new cables at the same time. Why wouldn't you?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Semantik wrote:
    Brake cables cost about £2 each. If you're fitting those nice expensive 6800 calipers maybe you should splash out and get new cables at the same time. Why wouldn't you?

Because if there is nothing wrong with the existing then it would be a waste of money, time and stuff. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Rolf F wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

Because if there is nothing wrong with the existing then it would be a waste of money, time and stuff. :wink:

Come come ,now. You know full well that you yourself would not stoop to such penny pinching depths.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Semantik wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

Come come ,now. You know full well that you yourself would not stoop to such penny pinching depths.

You are talking to someone who has a roll of black cork bar tape lying unused in one of his spares drawers, yet has unwrapped the original tape on both bars as far as the hoods on several occasions and wound it back on again on a bike that has nearly done 18,000 miles!

I'll rarely replace something unless it genuinely needs it for practical reasons or is an upgrade (whatever an 'upgrade' really is!)! Shiny new cable outers replacing shiny old cable outers doesn't excite me :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • birdie23
    Rolf F wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

Rolf pretty much sums it up.

Plus I use white bar tape and there's no point putting fresh on at this time of year, it'll be grey before the month is out. So I'd rather see out the winter and then change all my cables and bar tape in one go.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC