Removing handlebars

Mac9
Mac9 Posts: 134
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Or putting them back on, to be more precise, is where a problem has arisen for me.

I know virtually nothing about maintenance and repairs etc.. bar the very basics (changing brake blocks, cables, tuning brakes and gears is about as far as I know!)

I had to fit my bike into my friend's small car yesterday as I was moving house. Seat post and wheels removed but it still wouldn't squeeze in. So I made the inspired decision to take off the handlebars. Voila! Sorted.

Today, however, I've realised that putting them back on isn't quite as easy. I've put them back on and fastened the bolt on the top, but now there is a grinding noise and heavy/tight feeling when turning. This noise seems to be coming from where the forks go into the frame.

I've tried tightening and loosening the bolt but still no joy. Have I done something that'll need professional repair or is it a case of taking them off and trying again? Just don't want to do any significant damage as I really don't know what I'm doing!

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    What you actually did was remove the stem with the handlebars attached!

My tip would be:

Loosen the two stem bolts that clamp the fork steerer (so the stem is free to swivel about as it pleases)
    Loosen the bolt at the top on the stem cap
    Pick the front of the bike up under the fork crown.
    Give the stem a bit of a shake/fork a bit of a shake and push up under the fork crown(so you seat the bearings properly in the frame)
    Push the headset top cap down so it sits flush
    Put the front wheel back on the ground
    Tighten the top cap bolt. Do not over tigthten,m this is probably what caused the tightness and grinding noise. It should not be done up tight, but enough so you feel resistance in it. You are basically preloading the headset bearings.
    align the stem.
    Tighten stem bolts in a 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 pattern.

If above is confusing, check the parktools website for headset maintenance
  • Mac9
    Thank you, I'll follow your advice and have a look on Parktools too...hopefully I can rectify it!
  • Hi there
    Sound's like you have damaged the bearings or if the headset fell apart when you removed the bars maybe you assembled it in the wrong order. My guess would be you have caged bearings that could well of allready been damaged and upon taking the handle bars off a few bearings have fallen out or you have over tightened it crushing the bearings. My advice would be to take it to your LBS it is doubtful you will need a new headset unless the cups have pitted. Will be a case of cleaning putting new bearings in re-greasing. Should'nt expect to pay more than £25 in total but again this is a guess on the type of headset you have. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • Mac9
    Thanks, I followed styxd's advice but the problem remains so I think you're right, must be the bearings or something.

I'll pop it in to my LBS tomorrow and cross my fingers that it's nothing too big and expensive!

This is the spec info for the headset (or stem?!) - Compact: FSA OS-190 A-Head
  • Thats the make of the stem. Should be some writing below the stem on the headset. But to be fair if you have tried the above its definitely something to do with the bearings!! Let us know how u get on :)