Cyclescheme top up?

jonno_77
jonno_77 Posts: 7
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I got my cycle scheme voucher through for £500 (we have to order them at work in our benefits package about 3 months before they come). I was going to get either Halford's Voodoo Hoodoo or the Carrera Kraken but just realized Halfords do a different scheme so they're out the window.

So I'm having a gander now and can see that people, hands down, recommend the Rockrider 8.1 in this sort of price bracket. It looks like the price has gone up to £550 since bike radar's review. Does anyone know if Decathlon are open to top ups on the certificates as I'm £50 short.

Failing that can people tell me what is a good bike for no more than £500 for the voucher. I intend to use the bike for commuting on rds to replace a 15yr old muddy fox, and to also take it on trails into the peaks/woods but not any real serious off roading.

There is the Rockrider 8.0
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-80-mountain-bike-orange-black-id_8206681.html

Or Evans have some bikes on in the sale

Trek4700D for £475 reduced from £675
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/4700-d-2013-mountain-bike-ec042073

Or the Scott Aspect 620 at £499 from £699
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/aspect-620-2013-mountain-bike-ec042354

Or there is a 29er (never ridden one though) Saracen Kili Pro for £425 from £649
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/saracen/kili-pro-2013-mountain-bike-ec043446

Any tips on the certificate top up or failing that, which bike you would take for 500 or less.

Cheers

John

Comments

• Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Im not especially clued up on the matter at all, but could you not use the voucher and then simply pay Decathlon £50 on top? If neither of these options are feasible then take a look at the Calibre 2.2 - very well reviewed on here and can be had for around £350.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    Are you allowed to top it up. I work for asda and they wouldn't let me top up.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No, as you are hiring the bike not buying it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    supersonic wrote:

This is right, otherwise you would co-own the bike with your employee making the tax position impossible.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Technically 'no' may be the right answer but there is sometimes a loose interpretation of the rules by retailers - I have topped up over the 1000 pound mark before by 100 quid a couple of times for example, in both cases with well established retailers. It's worth asking them - I've never bought from Decathlon before.

Failing that cancel it and reapply or just speak to the scheme providers and see what they say about ammendment.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Good news for me, I went in there today and asked them and they said it is fine so i'm now the proud owner of a rockrider 8.1. I just had to pay the extra myself :-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Some independent shops will discount the bike and sell you a VERY expensive inner tube.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    supersonic wrote:

incorrect, this is a hire purchase agreement whereupon you own the bike after a designated time and a final payment.

Ive had 3 bikes off 2 schemes through different retailers including halfords and all have let me pay extra or in one case put through 2 bikes on one scheme .
    They are not going to turn away business even if they have to bend the rules a little.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    tarbot18 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

incorrect, this is a hire purchase agreement whereupon you own the bike after a designated time and a final payment.

Ive had 3 bikes off 2 schemes through different retailers including halfords and all have let me pay extra or in one case put through 2 bikes on one scheme .
    They are not going to turn away business even if they have to bend the rules a little.

No, it isn't. The employer owns the bike, allows you to use it, and can, not must, pass ownership to you at the end.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    cooldad wrote:
    tarbot18 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

No, it isn't. The employer owns the bike, allows you to use it, and can, not must, pass ownership to you at the end.

That's correct.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    tarbot18 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Bending the rules is illegal for tax reasons. The bike can be offered to you at the end of the agreement, or a further agreement outlined, but the bike belongs to the company, not you.