Do you guys work on your own bikes or take them to a shop?

2»

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Rolf F wrote:

OK then Sonny - lets see you knock up a groupset in your shed.

Mobile phones are churned out in fractions of a second in highly automated plants. What do you think the manufacturing time of a mobile phone (not cellphone please - we are British here) is? A damn site shorter than a groupset you can be sure.

I don't have to. I'm sure that Shimano's factories and staff can display a fantastic level of technology and manufacturing expertise. You're the one taking the mass-availability of this technology for granted on what is, frankly, a breathtaking scale.

Disclosure: I speak as an experienced manufacturing engineer who gets really narked when this stuff gets dismissed so easily.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    after 5 trips to 3 bike shops, now I will be firmly doing my own. Think I have had one worthwhile job from the lot. Downside is I tend to be time poor.

Problem I have found is it tends to be the mechanic rather than shop based and the various prices from the same shop for the same job.

Wheel true job I shall just have to find an expert somewhere local.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

OK then Sonny - lets see you knock up a groupset in your shed.

Mobile phones are churned out in fractions of a second in highly automated plants. What do you think the manufacturing time of a mobile phone (not cellphone please - we are British here) is? A damn site shorter than a groupset you can be sure.

I don't have to. I'm sure that Shimano's factories and staff can display a fantastic level of technology and manufacturing expertise. You're the one taking the mass-availability of this technology for granted on what is, frankly, a breathtaking scale.

Disclosure: I speak as an experienced manufacturing engineer who gets really narked when this stuff gets dismissed so easily.

Lol - at the irony that I was merely responding to a post that was taking for granted the fantastic level of technology and manufacturing expertise of the likes of Shimano and Campagnolo. You need to concentrate a bit more. I'd have thought that good concentration should be a key capability of an experienced manufacturing engineer. :wink:

FWIW - I am genuinely impressed at the technology on the one hand but disappointed at the sheer crapness of what it is used for - there's not so much of it I would miss if it didn't exist. If only the quality wasn't so superficial. If only it wasn't such short lived tat. The latest Samsung advert I pass on my way home - 'Suffering from screen envy?' - you are supposed to buy a new phone because your screen (on the phone you bought 6 months ago) is a couple of mm smaller than the new Samsungs. Sums this whole depressing business up - tomorrows landfill (with 'tomorrow' barely being an exaggeration) made today. I hope your engineering is used for something ultimately less eyewateringly pointless.

Incidentally, if random internet twaddle (=99.999% of all internet forum content) really does get you genuinely narked, it probably doesn't help calling people 'sonny' as that might result in less constructive replies than you would otherwise get and you getting further narked!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    mostly do my own fixes, or with assistance from friends and the 'tool pool' , but BB changes are a LBS (relatively) task as so much can go wrong
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    The latest Samsung advert I pass on my way home - 'Suffering from screen envy?' - you are supposed to buy a new phone because your screen (on the phone you bought 6 months ago) is a couple of mm smaller than the new Samsungs.

I'd prefer a world without the existance mobile phones, you can't walk down a street withour noticing half the populace walking at a snails pace, face down texting etc enthralled to there new digtal masters.