Lock up your??

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 998
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Lot of bikes getting stole around here lately so before it happens to me i want to take some precautions, so what do you guys use to lock up your bikes?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Out and about or at home?

Home - http://securityforbikes.com - these guys will see you right.

Out and about - depends on which bike. Commuter gets a sold secure gold rated d-lock - weekend bike, just a cafe lock as it is never out of my sight.
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 998
    Its at home in the garage.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Talk to security for bikes (used to be called pragmasis). They are really seriously into this stuff (obsessive in many ways!).

One of their anchors and a hefty chain and padlock and you should be all good.
  • Also could consider locking/security wheel skewers
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    at home, in a shared lock-up with steel door, inside there...

one secured with a ground anchor (actually mounted to wall) and xena d-lock (extremely heavy)

one secured with a kryptonite d-lock and chunky chain

with anchors, chains etc., you need to positon them to prevent use of crowbars, croppers and jacks

bear in mind, an angle grinder will get through almost any chain, lock etc., for a garage i'd fit an extemely loud alarm, the sort that will cause hearing damage if a thief hangs around, needs to be placed/housed to avoid smashing with a hammer

on the street in london i prefer not to leave a bike out of my sight, even with a d-lock/similar, too many scumbag bike thieves with tools, before you know it the bike'll be up for sale on gumtree
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    As was pointed out to me by a security expert no ground anchor, chain, kryptonite lock etc will stop a determined thief. He said they know how much bikes and parts are worth so will cut through your carbon frame with just a couple of sweeps of a hacksaw and remove the frame from the armour plated chain! Yes the frame is stuffed but that Dura Ace groupset will bag them enough bounty.

Remember if you keep them in the garage they can close the door behind them and work in peace undisturbed if you are not home or don't have an alarm. He said the only real protection would be to build a secure storage unit in the back of your garage using bricks/ blocks with a steel door that would make entry take too long. They don't like that and would go for the easier target elsewhere. Oh, and keep them out of sight.

PP