route uploading to Garmin Edge 500

daffyavfc
daffyavfc Posts: 237
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at buying the above named GPS unit,funds cannot stretch to an 800. What websites do folk use to upload routes to their device?

I've read some use strava, bike toast and Ride GPS and wondered what peoples choices were and why.

thanks

Comments

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I tried Ride GPS so as to get turn by turn directions. But for whatever reason it kept going wrong. So reverted to using Garmin's own course design. Although now I know most the routes in my area I no longer use the map function.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    If you want turn by turn with it warning you to turn before you get to the turning (ridewithGPS will prompt to turn but only when you are on top of the turn or slightly past it) then http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php will let you set a warning distance (bikeroutetoaster is down at the moment but also allows the same).

After you have done the route its usually best to zoom into turnings (1st person view on the map) to make sure they are 100% correct and also some turnings might be a bit spurious (road goes round a 90 degree righthand bend and it has set a right turn prompt when its obviously not needed).

Have a play and set a local very short route up to test it.

This info might be some help:- http://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-edge-500
    Cheers, Stu
  • I use Garmin Connect to plan my routes and then upload them to my 510.....

http://connect.garmin.com/

Obviously you will need to register first but once you do that, its easy to use. I find that the routes devised on Garmin Connect are more accurate than on Strava.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    I've been trying to use Garmin Connect to create a route but think I must be doing something wrong. I have it set to follow roads but on one route I've tried to create I want it to follow a main(ish) road and it just diverts to a dead end cul de sac just off of the main road.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Dabber I find you just need to set the direction points closer together when it does that.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    Alex222 wrote:
    Dabber I find you just need to set the direction points closer together when it does that.

I managed to pass the "sticking point" after a lot of effort. Trying to make very small steps never worked and it actually went back on itself to find the cul de sac. Eventually I got it to go the way I wanted by making the next click point a lot further down the road. Weird... Mapmy ride doesn't give me the problems, or Ridewithgps or GPSies. Something strange with the Garmin modelling.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • daffyavfc
    I've created the same routes with Strava and GC so far and will compare and contrast them with Biketoaster and GPS Ride as time goes on to see which I prefer best. Thanks for your advice.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    I would use gpsies as when you save there is an option to 'save trackpoints evenly' and for me this seems to get over the problem of the breadcrumb trail dissapearing randomly.

A google or look on the garmin forum will bring up many threads on the subject.

I have given up on turn reminders, just never seem to work.
    I ride a route now on map view until I know it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daffyavfc
    Daniel B wrote:
    I would use gpsies as when you save there is an option to 'save trackpoints evenly' and for me this seems to get over the problem of the breadcrumb trail dissapearing randomly.

Gpsies? Which one is that Daniel B please?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I use Garmin Connect for the (mainly road) routes I design. There's a tickbox on the right that enables you to 'stay on roads' or not, which usually sorts out the niggly bits.

If someone sends me a GPX file then I use Gpsies to convert it to a file that my Edge500 will accept. The conversion is a tad convoluted but once you've mastered it then it's pretty easy (and I've written it down...)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • daffyavfc
    maddog 2 wrote:
    If someone sends me a GPX file then I use Gpsies to convert it to a file that my Edge500 will accept. The conversion is a tad convoluted but once you've mastered it then it's pretty easy (and I've written it down...)

maddog2, I'm not fully up with the edge 500 yet. What files do the garmins accept to work properly? I've seen the tcx and gpx but was under the impression the 500 took tcx only as it doesn't have a fully working Map option.

Is Gypsies the name if the website?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    daffyavfc wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Gpsies? Which one is that Daniel B please?

Hi Daffy, sorry for delay - here you go: http://www.gpsies.com
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18