Which chainring for 1 X 9

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Evening.

I'm going 1 X 9 on my Marin Wolf Ridge, but can decide between a 32 and 30 chainring to go with a 34-11 cassette. Just want feedback from anyone who has a 1 X 9 set-up as am worried I'll run out of gears.....

The bike is on the heavy side, runs a FOX 36 and is used for trail to DH.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    presumably you've got a 32 knocking around from an old triple chainset somewhere - why not just try that, see how you get on and buy a 30 if you decide the 32 is too much for you? No-one else can tell you what gears you're going to need.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I just bought one of these. Plan on running 1x9 without a chainguide, for xc rather than downhill though but I suppose it would add a bit more security for you.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I would try a 32 but my current chainset is a 36/22. But thanks for the replies.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What every suits your riding and the terrain you ride on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    kenan wrote:
    I would try a 32 but my current chainset is a 36/22. But thanks for the replies.

oh, OK, maybe ask around your mates, then? Someone's bound to a have an old chainring knocking around in one of the sizes you're thinking of...