First road bike under £500

donnyboy61
donnyboy61 Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I would be grateful for some advice as a newbie to road biking.

I am looking to purchase a bike under £500, somthing comfy to ride and fairly reliable as I have little if no knowledge of bike repair should something go wrong.

I have spent hours looking at reviews on the internet but seem to be going round in circles as to what make/model to go for.

The entry level Boardman bike from Halfords at £500 is looking favourable as I would have the back up of my local store and the B Twin Triban 3 from Dacathlon but I have thought about possible second hand bikes on ebay or would I best to go for brand new?

Anybody out there who can speak from experience some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• There's a lot to be said for buying second hand at that price. You'll get something with a much better spec that will hold its value more if you decide you're not happy with it.

Good to have an idea of what you're looking for so maybe have a look in a few shops to get an idea of sizing.

One I would say though is that you need to budget for any replacement parts it might need (chain, cassette, bottom bracket most likely) and labour.

Quick glance through the classifieds on here shows this. Good price. Nothing to do with me btw.

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12955244
  • If you don't know much about bikes or repairing them then I wouldn't risk buying second hand as you could end up with a lemon unless you have a knowledgeable friend to help you.

The Boardman Road Sport is good starter bike for the price and you have the benefit of a twelve month warranty if anything goes wrong, which you won't have if you buy second hand.
  • Dont be scared about bike maintenance mate, it really isnt that hard as long as you have the right tools and you take your time. I have got back on a bike a couple of months ago after a 20 year lay off and this week i had a small off which wrecked my right shifter, rear derailleur, right pedal and tore my handlebar tape. Only this morning i have finished replacing the lot by myself and everything is working beautifully and the bike looks top notch again..... and i dont see myself mechanically minded either.

If you buy a second hand bike and it needs replacement parts, just follow the fitting instructions to the letter and you will not go wrong. Have faith.

Also, the more experience you gain with bike restoration or repair, the more confident you will become in servicing your bikes by yourself which will save you cash which will normally line the pockets of your LBS.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set