Does anyone actually hate their bike?

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
The forum is a great source of information for people to tap into the experience of others but this led me to thinking about if anyone had actually bought a bike they hated?

We forever see people comparing one bike to another, especially if it's their first purchase. From my own limited experience when I bought my first road bike I tested a couple of bikes in the shop around the local streets and was amazed at how light and quick they felt. I'd not ridden a bike for about 15 years since those trials.

At that point I was looking at the entry level Specialized Allez, to dip my toe and see if cycling was for me, the Allez was a good bike and apart from not being able to shift on the drops would have sufficed had I not been bitten by the bug. I sold it to fund my Cube Agree GTC race 6 months later and the Agree was a big leap from the Allez, costings £1000 more it should be. I've now ordered a Canyon which I'm sure will be another improvement.

So there we have it, a £575 bike that was fantastic (having not ridden a bike for 15 years,I'm sure everyone would have felt the same), a £1700 bike which was amazing, (upgrading from a £575 should have that effect), and now to a £2000 better specced bike which I expect to feel better again. 3 bikes all brilliant at the time of purchase and the months after.

With the development of materials and components, I'd imagine it must be pretty hard to find a bike in the £1000-£2000 price range to be rubbish.

So, is it a case of set your budget, choose a bike with the right geometry (racey/relaxed) and buy the bike you like the look of most???? I wonder...

(Fully admit that is probably a load of contradictory waffle, I was bored. I apologise) :D

Comments

• to be honest, I've never really liked my bike. bought it second hand from someone who was leaving the UK without even trying it for size. literally just went "yeah, that looks okay, i'll take it" paid and cycled off. didn't know the difference between frame materials or what a groupset was. whoops, big mistake.

i've got used to it, through a combination of £200 bikefit, upgrade/replacing parts, putting up with the discomfort etc but still hurts my shoulders neck after 50kms. what's gone from a £500 second-hand bike has probably cost me more than a new bike that actually fits etc.

doesn't mean i don't love cycling though. still get super excited about sunday coming round and getting out there (just wish i had something that didn't hurt to ride)

luckily I'm probably going to be getting a new one soon. definitely going to do it the right way this time tho. you live and learn (expensively i'm my case)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If the bike fits and is fit for purpose then they're all good.

I get massive enjoyment from bikes that cost me very little, to bikes that cost me an arm and a leg. It's not the bike that matters, it's where that bike can take you that's the most interesting thing.

Within reason (and ignoring the extreme ends of the market), all those bikes lined up in the shop - they're all the same. Pick any bike at a certain price point, and each and every manufacturer will have a model at that level. They all have a bike at £500, 750,1000, 1250, 1500 etc. etc.

So, yeah, which one looks the best probably isn't a bad way of buying a bike off the peg. You soon get used to whatever you're on.

Just make sure it fits.

I think I could hate a bike that didn't fit.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I had an Allez, put 20,000 miles into it and near replaced everything on it.

Then I picked up a track bike & rode it for a week before going back out on the Allez. It felt like riding an over sized spaghetti monster, the bike I'd put 20,000 miles into was too big and not stiff enough, I hated it. Basically what marcusjb said about fit!

It was stripped down to parts that weekend! Viva la fixie.

p.s hated the fixie for a while too, I didn't break it in, it broke me in. :lol:
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I hate my bike, but only because if I never had gone and rode it I would have never have injured my knee so bad that I can't even go ride my bike no more.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As soon as I saw and test rode my mountain bike I knew it was exactly what I wanted and still love riding it. My road bike took longer to get used to and I bought it as it was at a greatly reduced price. Now after setting it up properly I really enjoy riding it for hours so it was a good choice but took longer to get there.
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    No, but would if it was in the hateful all black. Drab cyclists nowadays.