Bike rack

am7
am7 Posts: 59
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I have searched high & low for a tow bar mounted bike rack in the uk that does not touch the bike frame.
There are tons of options for the states and all with the receiver type tow bar instead of the ball type.
Anyone know if such a rack exists for the uk? I am willing to import from anywhere if that is the case but it has to be of the ball type tow bar mount.

Comments

• cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I think you will struggle to get much that doesn't touch the frame. Wheel support racks normally seem to have a stabilisng arm. I saw one that had a large loop to hold the front wheel, but it didn't look as stable and was a roof mount - something like the Yakima FrontLoader or the Inno Tyre Hold. If you could manage with a rear mount rather than tow bar there the Saris Gran Fondo.

I think tow ball mount *and* no frame contact will be difficult. Hoe definite are you on no frame contact? There's always the The adapter that is a bracket that can go seatpost to stem.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    What's the problem with something touching the frame? What's your frame made of that makes it too delicate to clamp?
    More problems but still living....
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    My road frame is carbon. I drive fast on and off-road. My mtb can take all the abuse and the only scratches on that are from crashes and dirt acting as sandpaper to the paint whether it's dust, mud, snow, slit, etc.
    The americans are spoilt for choice thule, saris, yakima, etc. you name it. I found literally over ten racks which hold the bikes by the wheels only and all are of the receiver type. Some of these racks are many years old.
    Do uk/europeans not care about their bikes as much? I can't believe there does not exist a single rack I could use? I've searched everywhere even emailed manufacturers only to get the usual canned responses containing an assortment of the words sorry, markets, laws etc.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Slow down? Driving fast off road with a load on the back does not bode well for the survival of the load.

I an not convinced the no frame contact ones will be as secure as a decent wheel support rack that has a stabilising arm that holds the frame as well.

If no frame contact is your most important criteria, the roof may be your way forwards.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)