Top commuting tips ...

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
Forgive me if you've heard this one before but I just discovered it the other day ...
Tired of wrestling with tight overshoes* four times a day?
When removing, just roll them over the ankle / heel so they remain wrapped around the forefoot bit of your cycling shoe, exposing the ratchet / dial so you can pop that and release the shoe with overshoe largely attached - it can stay like that til you put them back on.
Saves wear and tear on overshoes too.

*the neoprene one-piece sort that don't have zip or velcro

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    One I discovered earlier this week:
    Recharging the batteries for your lights is not enough to guarantee that they'll work. Turns out that you also need to take the batteries out of the charger and put them back in the lights. No amount of banging the light, turning it on and off etc will work unless you've taken this critical step.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Astute, TGOTB.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,635
    TGOTB wrote:
    One I discovered earlier this week:
    Recharging the batteries for your lights is not enough to guarantee that they'll work. Turns out that you also need to take the batteries out of the charger and put them back in the lights. No amount of banging the light, turning it on and off etc will work unless you've taken this critical step.

Thanks. Just reminded me to turn off my rear light from this morning. Need to recharge it now.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Works both ways too, if you want lights in the morning, remember to turn them off! Opinions please on knocking on a random door at 8pm because someone has left their bike lights on, helpful or weird?

Edit: Obv. the bike belonged to the house I knocked at, not just a 'random' house
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I dunno, knocking on some complete strangers house to tell them you've left your lights on would definitely be construed as weird.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    gingaman wrote:
    [...]helpful or weird?
    Why_not_both%3F.jpg
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    I think personally I would rather someone knocked on my door than find I have no lights in the morning, plus if the lights are on it is easier for someone nefarious to see them/bike
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    gingaman wrote:
    I think personally I would rather someone knocked on my door than find I have no lights in the morning, plus if the lights are on it is easier for someone nefarious to see them/bike
    Thnk id be more worried that someone knew who the bike belonged to. What else would they know about you?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz wrote:
    gingaman wrote:
    Thnk id be more worried that someone knew who the bike belonged to. What else would they know about you?

:shock: :| :shock:

**buys an extra Kryptonite D-lock**
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Why knock? Just turn the lights off. That's what I do if I ever see any left on in the bike park. As for overshoes, easiest solution = don't wear them - haven't bothered at all this winter (did wear oversocks for a bit before Christmas).
  • BigMat wrote:
    Why knock? Just turn the lights off. That's what I do if I ever see any left on

+1 so long as the lights are easy to turn off....
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    BigMat wrote:
    Why knock? Just turn the lights off. That's what I do if I ever see any left on

+1 so long as the lights are easy to turn off....

Remove the batteries :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    goonz wrote:
    gingaman wrote:
    They'd know where you live, for a start...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    BigMat wrote:
    As for overshoes, easiest solution = don't wear them - haven't bothered at all this winter (did wear oversocks for a bit before Christmas).

M'yeah +1

All my MTB kit is in storage at the moment so I'm forced to fight with overshoes but I'm already sick of them (and breaking them!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    BigMat wrote:
    Why knock? Just turn the lights off.

Done that once a week it seems in work as I walk into the bike sheds at 2200.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    ... Remember where you are commuting to and how to get home again afterwards

This becomes more important as you get older
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    If your light breaks borrow one from your work bike park, but only if it has a layer of dust on it!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • I've been using DHB toe covers this year. Simple to put on and remove, keep my feet warm and believe it or not, as dry as most overshoes I've worn. Cheap good bit of kit.