Bar or Helmet Mount?

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,218
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
I've posted this in Road General as well so sorry for the duplication but thought there may be more experience on the issue over here on the dark side!

I got an AEE Magicam as a Christmas present which is very similar in design to a Go Pro. It came with a head strap but that isn't really ideal for cycle use whilst wearing a helmet. Therefore I'm trying to decide whether to buy a bar mount or a helmet mount. I prefer the idea of having a helmet mounted camera as it will pick up what I am looking at and if the camera was a similar shape to a Contour I would definitely go down that route. However, I'm never quite sure about the 'Go Pro style' camera on a helmet as it seems rather bulky.

I'd be interested in hearing from those with Go Pros (or, better still, the Magicam) to hear how you choose to mount them. If you do use a helmet mount what is the best position for them e.g. right on top of the helmet, on the front or on one side? It will mainly be used on the commute to provide back up should the worst happen but I don't intend turning into one of those commuter bike warriors who post every 'near miss' on You Tube!

BTW I'm not looking for this to turn into a debate on the merits of the Magicam v a Go Pro, I am more than happy with the footage I have got so far from my camera. It may or may not be better than a Go Pro but I don't care, it is perfect for what I need.

Comments

• not used either but Helmet mounts mean the Camera is normally pointing in the right direction/something of interest, plus more likely to be smoother/stable.

at least watching videos that seems so.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    As RM says: I have my (Counter HD) mounted on the right side of my helmet which allows me to pan around to film the interesting stuff when it happens. Otherwise the bike has to be pointing in the right direction at the time and this is rarely the case.

Some of my better vids show things happening that would not be caught if the camera was bar mounted. You do however look a bit of a cock with the camera strapped to your head.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter