hunt-for-motorcyclist-who-tried-kicking-ordinary-cyclist

kennygalbraith
kennygalbraith Posts: 101
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
Why do idiots undertake in the first place! I was passing part of a flooded road the other week and a car undertook me through the flood!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/16/video-hun ... O=facebook

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    no excuse for the actions of the driver but he was way too far out into the road, there was no surface water or potholes that I could see.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    'Ordinary cyclist', that doesn't make us sound very exciting now does it.
  • Why is all this hatred directed at the twunt on the scooter. Pointless scummer though he is, what the lorry did after that incident seemed more dangerous to me, swerving at the last minute to block the cyclist coming past when there was a whole lane's worth of room.
  • I can't see any pot holes either but he must have been out a fair bit for a scooter to be able to pass on the inside? Would'nt the scooter be going through the potholes?.... the lorries driving was outrageous, it's not clear to me why it suddenly moved in and then back out unless he was undertaking a right-turning car.
    Lessons to be learned?
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    no excuse for the actions of the driver but he was way too far out into the road, there was no surface water or potholes that I could see.

He had just gonna past a side road, he was 100% correct in his positioning. I would've moved back a bit after but there seemed to be a few side roads along that route and not too much traffic so there's no problem.

If cyclists like yourself think like that then no wonder there's so much misunderstanding and hate towards cyclists and their road positioning on newspaper comment boards like the one above...:(
  • chris_bass
    Chris Bass wrote:

He had just gonna past a side road, he was 100% correct in his positioning. I would've moved back a bit after but there seemed to be a few side roads along that route and not too much traffic so there's no problem.

If cyclists like yourself think like that then no wonder there's so much misunderstanding and hate towards cyclists and their road positioning on newspaper comment boards like the one above...:(

he was in the middle of the lane for the whole thing, even when there was a cycle path on the left he was still way out.

I'm not saying the lorry driving or scooter rider were in any way right, far from it, i just don't think that the cyclist was 100% correct either.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Why is all this hatred directed at the twunt on the scooter. Pointless scummer though he is, what the lorry did after that incident seemed more dangerous to me, swerving at the last minute to block the cyclist coming past when there was a whole lane's worth of room.

If you look in front of the lorry you will see that there is a car turning right and the lorry driver indicates to show he is pulling in. It was too close though, but not a deliberate attempt to block the cyclist.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Why is all this hatred directed at the twunt on the scooter. Pointless scummer though he is, what the lorry did after that incident seemed more dangerous to me, swerving at the last minute to block the cyclist coming past when there was a whole lane's worth of room.

If you look in front of the lorry you will see that there is a car turning right and the lorry driver indicates to show he is pulling in. It was too close though, but not a deliberate attempt to block the cyclist.

But a cyclist worth his salt (and not wound up by some twat trying to kick him off his bike) would've seen that situation developing and ensured there was space for the lorry driver to move around the car - and preferably indicated that to the driver (harder in the dark).

Any long vehicle that has a limited time to get past me gets a hands up wave when the rear of the vehicle is past me.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Slowbike wrote:

But a cyclist worth his salt (and not wound up by some fool trying to kick him off his bike) would've seen that situation developing and ensured there was space for the lorry driver to move around the car - and preferably indicated that to the driver (harder in the dark).

Any long vehicle that has a limited time to get past me gets a hands up wave when the rear of the vehicle is past me.

Like this you mean:

http://youtu.be/9U94jr60Pfw

:)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    edited January 2014
    Slowbike wrote:

But a cyclist worth his salt (and not wound up by some fool trying to kick him off his bike) would've seen that situation developing and ensured there was space for the lorry driver to move around the car - and preferably indicated that to the driver (harder in the dark).

The chap had nearly been kicked off his bike, with heavy traffic around him, on a dark and wet evening on the OKR. It is, however, comforting to read that a savvy cyclist (such as yourself, perhaps?) would have handled the situation better, with aplomb even...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Jan 2013?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Jan 2013?

Hmm...lets assume thats a setup mistake as he claims the time is an hour out too.

but I dont see a problem with his positioning at all, the road is wet, covered in crud its dark, your not going to see a pothole until you hit it in those conditions, the camera isnt necessarily giving you the same view the rider is seeing, so absolutely you want to be either in the wheel tracks on the road or closer to the middle line given the sightlines for all the side roads, theres plenty of room on the right for traffic to pass properly,whats the issue ? the moped rider is just being an idiot (cos they always ride in the gutter dont they :roll: )
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    The 'hunt' for the motorcyclist shouldn't be hard. The reg of the bike is on the vid and spoken by the cyclist. Has there been a follow up story yet?
  • Chris Bass wrote:

Why on Earth would you assume you can see better than the cyclist in question could being there himself?

And his positioning is spot-on.

I hope you don't drive...
  • chris_bass
    jacknorell wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Why on Earth would you assume you can see better than the cyclist in question could being there himself?

And his positioning is spot-on.

I hope you don't drive...

I dont assume I can see better, there is a video and no potholes or water that I can see. Can you see any?

what would me driving have to do with cyclists road position?! so i think he is too far out, doesnt mean I'm going to try and run him off the road!

you know it isnt me on the scooter, right!?
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

Like this you mean:

http://youtu.be/9U94jr60Pfw

:)

yup :)
  • slowbike
    Origamist wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

The chap had nearly been kicked off his bike, with heavy traffic around him, on a dark and wet evening on the OKR. It is, however, comforting to read that a savvy cyclist (such as yourself, perhaps?) would have handled the situation better, with aplomb even...
    I'm referring to the bit about the lorry - not the scooter - and the negative comments on how the lorry driver tried to run the cyclist off the road (IIRC) - all I'm saying is that that isn't the case and just because you're riding a bike doesn't make it that everyone else has to keep clear.

IMHO, too many drivers & possibly cyclists only observe what is going on just in front of them - many only watching the bumper in front. This is why we have so many pileups. Look further down the road and you can anticipate situations and have already changed your position and/or speed in a smooth manner that doesn't surprise the person behind you (who is probably just looking at your rear end) - you're better placed to avoid accidents and even help other road users (ie the lorry in the clip above) to achieve a smooth flow of traffic.
  • Origamist
    Slowbike wrote:
    I'm referring to the bit about the lorry - not the scooter - and the negative comments on how the lorry driver tried to run the cyclist off the road (IIRC) - all I'm saying is that that isn't the case and just because you're riding a bike doesn't make it that everyone else has to keep clear.

IMHO, too many drivers & possibly cyclists only observe what is going on just in front of them - many only watching the bumper in front. This is why we have so many pileups. Look further down the road and you can anticipate situations and have already changed your position and/or speed in a smooth manner that doesn't surprise the person behind you (who is probably just looking at your rear end) - you're better placed to avoid accidents and even help other road users (ie the lorry in the clip above) to achieve a smooth flow of traffic.

The roadcraft exhibited by the HGV driver was poor - note how late the indicator came on before the manoeuver into the nearside lane containing the cyclist.

If the cyclist was a little slow to spot the danger of the lane changing HGV, it was most likely as a consequence of nearly being left sprawled in the centre of a busy A-road by the idiot on the scooter a few seconds earlier. I'm not convinced you have much understanding or empathy for what had just taken place.
  • slowbike
    Origamist wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

The roadcraft exhibited by the HGV driver was poor - note how late the indicator came on before the manoeuver into the nearside lane containing the cyclist.

If the cyclist was a little slow to spot the danger of the lane changing HGV, it was most likely as a consequence of nearly being left sprawled in the centre of a busy A-road by the idiot on the scooter a few seconds earlier. I'm not convinced you have much understanding or empathy for what had just taken place.

Obviously you can't read properly ... whatever ...
  • Origamist
    edited January 2014
    Slowbike wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Obviously you can't read properly ... whatever ...[/]

If you don't like your blinkered version of events being challenged on the internet, I'd stick to being an opinionated pub bore.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    It's stretching it a bit saying it's a motorcyclist :roll: ;more like some spotty oik who has wobbled around a car-park getting their CBT :P .
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Lets focus on the moped rider everyone. He performed an illegal and dangerous nearside overtake otherwise known as undertaking. I have had a few run-ins with bikers who pull this one.

On one occasion, I was proceeding along York Road, Bristol on my way into work. The road has two lanes, left for turning left (naturally) with arrows on the lane and signs. The centre lane is for going straight on. As I went through the green light, dumb idiot of a biker roared past on my inside. He used the left turn lane to filter but needed to go straight on. It frightened me and I wobbled but didn't come off thankfully. If you look at this road on google maps, you'll see it bends around to the right as you head west. This biker, who I judged to be speeding as well, overtook a line of cars on the bend :evil: .

Well, I managed to catch up with him at the red light. My adrenalin was running and I wish my helmet cam hadn't run out of jiuce as I would have got it on record and would not have hesitated to report him. In hindsight, I should have got his reg and reported it anyway, but in the heat of the moment, all I could do was say to him that he performed an illegal and dangerous undertake that, if I'd come off, might have resulted in me being hit either by oncoming traffic - his action forced me to swerve into the centre of the road - or traffic behind. I remembered that a member of staff was killed in a cycling accident a few years earlier when she hit a pothole and fell off in rush hour traffic. The guy just ignored me and sped off. Utter moron :evil:

On seperate occasions, I have been cut up by motorcyclists illegally using the ASL and executing right turns from a left hand position (I am Captain Nemo1701 on Youtube). Needless to say, mainly by people with L plates on.
    "Anything for a weird life"

Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Looks like a member of the road riding A-hole club to me, thinks he owns the road!! :roll:

Positioning terrible, observation terrible & a downright danger to himself & others IMO- yes the cyclist that is!

What does he expect, the rest of the nation to look out for him hammering down the middle of a carriageway like some wannabe Bradley Wiggins or summat?

The moped rider was probably p***ed off with him taking the whole left hand lane up on his "push bike"!

If anyone knows him, buy him a MTB. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Looks like a member of the road riding A-hole club to me, thinks he owns the road!! :roll:

Positioning terrible, observation terrible & a downright danger to himself & others IMO- yes the cyclist that is!

What does he expect, the rest of the nation to look out for him hammering down the middle of a carriageway like some wannabe Bradley Wiggins or summat?

The moped rider was probably p***ed off with him taking the whole left hand lane up on his "push bike"!

Hi Uncle Tom!

Thought you'd take a break from the top gear forums to post on here? Nice to see you.

Now can you please buy a copy of the highway code, take some cycling training and shut the foobar up before commenting on something you obviously know nothing about.

Thank you for listening! ;)

ps. Moped rider let off by police due to lack of witnesses - despite helmetcam footage: http://road.cc/content/news/110075-police-take-no-action-against-moped-rider-caught-camera-kicking-out-cyclists
  • I find the Police reaction very odd as I got a conviction based entirely on my helmet camera footage. There was no other evidence required. I even had a call from them asking if I could furnish them with a screen shot from the footage as it would take them too long to get it through their normal channels.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X

Hi Uncle Tom!

Thought you'd take a break from the top gear forums to post on here? Nice to see you.

Now can you please buy a copy of the highway code, take some cycling training and shut the foobar up before commenting on something you obviously know nothing about.

ps. Moped rider let off by police due to lack of witnesses - despite helmetcam footage: http://road.cc/content/news/110075-police-take-no-action-against-moped-rider-caught-camera-kicking-out-cyclists

Hi Ricardo Cranium

Why do you think the moped rider was let off? Even though they had video evidence of the incident?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6

Hi Uncle Tom!

Hi Ricardo Cranium

Why do you think the moped rider was let off? Even though they had video evidence of the incident?

Because everyone knows riding in the middle of the road to avoid potholes in treacherous conditions is illegal.
  • Quote from the cyclist-

"leaving the cyclist struggling to maintain balance on the busy road.

"I was really shaken up," he told road.cc following the incident. "I was really holding on for dear life, making sure I didn't topple over."

Where exactly in the video is this demonstrated? It isn't, in-fact the quote is positively a complete over exaggerated load of poop. The cyclist just carried on belting down the middle of the road. Even when a cycle lane appears the guy doesn't use it. To add to this idiot's list of poor judgements he then starts to have a conversation with another cyclist, riding side by side at this point & STILL in the middle of the road creating yet another very dangerous situation- for which he gets a well deserved "peep" for!

If I was the cyclist I'd be glad the police were NOT taking this any further- I'd be concerned with being done myself!!

Some of you really need to get your heads out ya own arses I'm afraid!! :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • I find the Police reaction very odd as I got a conviction based entirely on my helmet camera footage. There was no other evidence required. I even had a call from them asking if I could furnish them with a screen shot from the footage as it would take them too long to get it through their normal channels.

yours if it's anything like the rest of your helmet cam footage would have been clear good quality.

His isn't you can see that the moped undertakes and kicks out, but if it connects or not? not good enough to tell, I do appreciate that is was a wet night. but the footage is poor, and narrow in field.

Re the cyclist being in the way traffic seems to be passing fine since there are two lanes and not that much traffic, on a wet day on a road like that probably the position I would take