Petition check frame numbers against stolen bike lists

wishitwasallflat
wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
edited January 2014 in MTB general
apologies to anyone who gets these anyway but thought some may be interested who don't. Mods I have also posted this on Road so hope that's ok?

Dear all,
I’ve been asked to share a related petition by the guys over at Stolen Bikes UK. What they are asking for is that police forces in the UK allow cyclists to check frame numbers against stolen bike reports they have on record. It follows the theory that if you make a bike more risky to sell, then you make the crime less attractive to begin with.

The petition can be found on the below link, they’ve got a lot of work to do as each force has to be convinced individually (there is currently no national database of stolen bikes and no way for police officers to check nationally

https://www.change.org/petitions/make-f ... ript=false

Any and all signatures are greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Richard

This message was sent by Richard Biggs using the Change.org system. You received this email because you signed a petition started by Richard Biggs on Change.org: "eBay UK (@ebay_UK): Help #stopbiketheft - make frame numbers mandatory on listings." Change.org does not endorse contents of this message.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That would be great if there were one list, as there isn't it's rather a waste of time as you would almost certainly end up checking the wrong list as the bike only has to move a county over......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    Something needs to be done and quickly, to many bikes are being stolen on a daily basis. I know it will never stop completely but we need some sort of deterrent to reduce this as I am a victim, I had my specialized camper stolen in 2012 so like others we don't want it to happen to others if we can.

done
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So we need to petition for a single register that can be checked, anything else is pointless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.