Cable question, yay !!!

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking at buying a new set of brake and gear cables for my 2012 Canyon SLX.

Ive got my eye on these
http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-roa ... 61295.html

Even though they for dura ace 9000, and my bike uses i believe 7900 they should work.
Question though;

On the canyon my cables "look like" jagwire style ones ( i know they not though). so can i just replace cables as normal ie thread new ones through old outers ect, or is this whole idea silly ...

On this, what tips you give to keep cables lasting long time?
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Yes, also your cables will last longer if you don't use the brakes.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Personally I think they are overpriced for brakes for what you get, but then again £40 is £40 at the end of the day and to a lot of people it is nothing.

If you don't mind stiff outers (not a problem on many bikes) then Yokozuna Reaction are very good and deals can be had on Gear and Brake complete sets. I've not yet had a brake cable that runs noticeably smooth as the Yokozuna, although these new DuraAce ones are supposed to be brilliant.

When I say 'smooth' there's no performance there, just the feel in the workshop is quite noticable, you can feel graininess in some brake cables that isn't there with the best ones. Mind you, a lot of people do a crap job of cabling and this can make some difference too.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I fitted these, but dont notice any improvement over the cheaaper stainless ones. In fact the polymer coating gets damaged where the inner is clamped at the stirrup. Wouldnt bother again.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    so can i just replace cables as normal ie thread new ones through old outers ect, or is this whole idea silly ...
    On this, what tips you give to keep cables lasting long time?
    Yes you can just thread some new cables in old housing but make sure the housing is in good condition, no rust, kinks, surface cracks, etc. Not much to do to maintain cables for longevity. Just put something on the cable ends to keep them from unraveling and keep the exposed cable as clean as possible to avoid getting grit in the housings. Some like to lube the cables but I find this just attracts more dirt and gums the cables up. Also when you cut the housing, file off any burrs especially in the inside and make the cut as square as possible. If you want to replace the housings as well I like the "Jagwire Racer" kits. They cost less (shop around) and work as well and last as long as any other cable set out there unless you want to spend the extra on Yokozuna types. Jagwire also uses a different type of brake housing which gives a noticeably firmer feel when braking, better than any others I've used.
  • Cheers for replies, I'll get the gear cable set first and have them fitted as I've looked at bike and looks like it could be tricky to replace.

The brake set I'll think about but I think it's more the way my brakes are set up ATM that could be causing issues rather than cables ( no way to prove cables ree bad :/)

Would you put rock & roller cable stuff on these dura ace cables? Or not as they" coated"
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners