Mudguards with disc brakes

Pete Williams
Pete Williams Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I was looking at fitting a set of full mudguards to my Boardman Hybrid comp as I'm getting a bit fed up of having a soggy bum.

I asked in my local bike shop what I would need and the fella didn't see to sure, saying that with disc brakes none of them would fit and I'd have to buy some that didn't fit and bend the metal arms in the hope I could make them fit. I don't really fancy spending £30-40 quid on something new to then have to mangle it to work and risk breaking it or it not fitting anyway.

Any better other suggestions?

I'm also on 32mm tyres, so don't know if that means clearance might be an issue with some guards.

Cheers

Pete

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited January 2014
    I fitted some SKS (chromoplastics I think) guards to my old Boardman hybrid pro.
    Did not need to bend anything. I just spaced out the front struts so they went around the disc brakes, and rotated the rear guard so it went behind the disc brakes.
    This also gave lower coverage at the back which was a bonus.
    Took while and was a faff to do but most of that was working out what to do rather than actually doing it.
    That was with 22/24mm tyres though, but I cannot see wider chromoplastics being a problem.
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    If its just to protect you from the spray something like the San Marco Ass Saver would work?

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/san-ma ... wwod33QA7g
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    My Genesis has Discs and SKS guards. The stays are neatly bent round the outside of the calipers with an extra-long spacer where it attaches to the frame. Neat as...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Sounds like your bike shop doesn't want the job, but he is right; the stays may well need bending around the brakes, but not difficult with a pair of pliers. You'll also need them or a hacksaw to trim the ends.

You'll probably be fine with a set of 40mm 'guards; most makes indicate the range of wheel sizes that each model fits.
    I can't recommend SKS, as the pair I had on my Pompetamine kept breaking - when I replaced the rear one, it had snapped in four places. I now have a set of Tortecs.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    I just fitted some SKS guards on a friends Genesis CDF.

It IS more fiddly, but I ended up using a few of the little locking rings that you use to secure tyre valves (Sorry don't know the technical name) just to push the arms out a little bit more, and then, due to the holes we chose, only had to bend one of the arms, to get around the caliper - on each wheel this was.

One bend out, one bend back in, and then one bend back out again to go through the guard.

I was fearing it I have to be honest, and it did take a couple of hours, but I was pleasantly amazed that it fitted centrally on both wheels - though clearance was VERY tight at the front.

I have had no issues with 3 sets of SKS guards in our house, and have fitted now 2 pairs for friends.

Aside from a spanner, and a hacksaw, I find a couple of pairs of mole grips very useful, especially when trying to accurately bend the stays as you will have to.

If you want to minimise the bending required, you could get some of these spacers:
    IMAG0263(1).jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks everyone. With all the mentions of SKS I decided to email them directly and ask them if they could recommend anything that would fit. Got a very quick reply telling me that SKS Raceblade XL should fit just fine - so have ordered a pair of them. We'll see if they require any meddling to get it on..!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Well done; with the recent weather, good mudguards are to be cherished.

(As an aside, "meddling" always makes me think of the Scooby Doo villain...)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    i've used these on a bike with disc brakes...

http://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk2/

...had to experiment a bit with where to attach the stays, once that was done they were fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I fitted SKS Bluemells to my winter bike with disc brakes. The bike had no guard mounts on the front forks, but did at the rear. This image shows a P clip on the right fork leg used to mount the right hand stays;

ugtr.jpg

Here's a view from the other side showing how I bent the stays to fit them round the rear caliper and to fit them to the front caliper mounting bolt.

0rwp.jpg

It took me quite a while to get it all right, but well worth it in the end. The guards are superb and look pretty good too!

PP
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    More options here:

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12953122

Pete
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've mounted the front guard onto the top calliper bolt with a longer bolt and short spacer to clear the cable stop, the rear guard is attached in the normal way as the rear calliper is on the chainstay, not the seatstay.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    I had the same problem with both my bike and my girlfriends so tried two different solutions to see which worked best.

On hers I got Evans to give me a spare 1 1/2" bolt (usually used to mount the front guard to the forks) similar to Daniel B's photo and it works fine.

On my commuter as it folds I wanted it to be a bit more secure so went with the bendy option, a lot more faff as you have to spend a lot of time getting the bend right but worth it as it also works fine and is nice and secure. Will upload pictures later of both if anyone wants them.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    DHTT wrote:
    If its just to protect you from the spray something like the San Marco Ass Saver would work?

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/san-ma ... wwod33QA7g
    completely useless
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo