Homemade Top Cap, Legal?

Richysticky
Richysticky Posts: 37
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

Kick this into the correct forum if I have gotten it wrong ...

Quick question re headset topcaps....

Had a flash of inspiration earlier and decided to try and make a carbon headset top cap, have a load of carbon sheet left over from my track car building days, so .... removed this ...

11983542205_ae2c8deabd_z.jpg
WP_20140116_006 by rpic - rich webber, on Flickr

and replaced it with this ....

11983844343_85a28b1f14_z.jpg
WP_20140116_003 by rpic - rich webber, on Flickr

To give me 11 g of free lightness, like this .....

11983534805_5b02a85761_z.jpg
WP_20140116_015 by rpic - rich webber, on Flickr

Checked that I get enough preload for the bearings without splitting the carbon, and its not load bearing once the stem is tightened .... all good so far :D

Question is, does the bolt 'need' to be countersunk or can I get away with it to race?

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I think that 11g difference might get you from back of the pack to 1st.
  • dodgy wrote:
    I think that 11g difference might get you from back of the pack to 1st.

:D lol, it was more an exercise in engineering than anything else. But like they say, every little helps lol :P
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The edges look sharper than a regular top cap, and as for the allen bolt standing proud...

Probably not a great idea for such little benefit.
  • Save another 2.3g by removing it completely once stem's tightened. Marginal gains.
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    or you could just spit on the road before you start.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sorry, but legal or not, it looks cr@p...
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    Looks sheet.
  • If you countersink the hole and get a black countersunk Allen bolt it would look better. You should also undercut the edge so it locates inside the stem with a small lip above the stem as it looks too thick sitting above the stem.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    That SRAM Garmin mount looks heavy.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    So do those Sora brakes.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    So do the (6) steel bolts on the stem
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Gozzy wrote:
    So do those Sora brakes.

haha.

Makes custom top cap to save 11g...

Has Sora brakes.

:lol::lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A better way to save weight whilst making the bike look crap at the same time is to do away with the top cap altogether and cover it with insulation tape. Not as crap looking as gaffer tape but that unfortunately weighs more. You have to decide whether the weight or crap looks is more important to you! :)
    DavidJB wrote:
    Gozzy wrote:
    So do those Sora brakes.
    haha.
    Makes custom top cap to save 11g...
    Has Sora brakes.
    :lol::lol:

But be nice though - the weight saving was accomplished at zero cost to the OP so the Sora brakes aren't strictly relevant (aside from that it makes the 11g saved an even smaller proportion of the bikes weight).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • :cry: Your all quite mean ......
    I don't want to play any more :?
    To be honest, I know the bike is not the lightest around, obviously, but it was more an idea for a lighter cap than a bid to take the bike sub 6.8 k :roll:
    I shall remove it immediately before anyone else laughs at me :lol:
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    :cry: Your all quite mean ......
    To be honest, I know the bike is not the lightest around, obviously, but it was more an idea for a lighter cap than a bid to take the bike sub 6.8 k :roll:
    I shall remove it immediately before anyone else laughs at me :lol:

We're only joshing!
  • Surely the extra drag caused by the bolt head sticking out would outweight the benefit from weight reduction, so it might actually slow you done.
    :-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    :cry: Your all quite mean ......

We're mean to the bone........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's illegal
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Found it! Think it comes under subsection 4

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
    PART IV Regulation 100 Maintenance and use of vehicle or Pedal Cycle so as not to be a danger, etc

(1) A motor vehicle, every trailer drawn thereby and all parts and accessories of such vehicle and trailer shall at all times be in such condition, and the number of passengers carried by such vehicle or trailer, the manner in which any passengers are carried in or on such vehicle or trailer, and the weight, distribution, packing and adjustment of the load of such vehicle or trailer shall at all times be such, that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.
    Provided that the provisions of this regulation with regard to the number of passengers carried shall not apply to a vehicle to which the Public Service Vehicles (Carrying Capacity) Regulations 1984 apply.
    (2) The load carried by a motor vehicle or trailer shall at all times be so secured, if necessary by physical restraint other than its own weight, and be in such a position, that neither danger nor nuisance is likely to be caused to any person or property by reason of the load or any part thereof falling or being blown from the vehicle or by reason of any other movement of the load or any part thereof in relation to the vehicle.
    (3) No motor vehicle or trailer shall be used for any purpose for which it is so unsuitable as to cause or be likely to cause danger or nuisance to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.
    (4) Home made parts that look sh|t must not be added to any pedal cycle and used on a road
    (5) No pedal cycle shall be used without first posting a picture on a Designated Internet Forum in the relevant section. Photographs must comply with photographic quality legislation of said Internet Forum.
    (6) Provisions in relation to Pedal Cycle Decals - To Be Amended (see R v Ezyrider)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • lol, could equally be sub-section 5 though :-)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Illegal or not it is definitely criminal :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Out of interest, how many have done away with the top cap altogether?

As stated, once the thing is preloaded, it's fairly redundant. I've done it on my MTB and shoved an old Easton plastic bung in there that came off one of those Ring-o-Star contraptions from years ago.

I didnt do it for any weight saving motive.
  • Bozabyka
    Bozabyka Posts: 252
    Good old subsection 4 hey
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    That bolt,is the one that will do the most damage in a smash. It's how life works
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I've got a handlebar end plug (Fizik if it matters) in the steerer of my Look.