Second Hand Frames

Tiberius007
Tiberius007 Posts: 195
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi

Any advice re purchasing second hand frames? Where to purchase or not? And any specifics or pitfalls to look for?

I am sure a bit like cars there are pit falls, unfortunately I know more about cars :?

Or should I just avoid this avenue completely.

Thanks for your help.

:)

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Try your utmost to avoid buying something stolen. Ask for the serial number to check online if it's reported as stolen. Ask to see a receipt, ask a few questions about the bike / frame that might catch out a non cyclist.

Cash on collection is easiest; you get to have a good look at it before handing over any money. Inspect it in daylight; look for any sign that it's been crashed. Make sure that any headset, BB or seatpost isn't seized into the frame.

Check out the classifieds on here; plenty of bona fide cyclists flogging genuine stuff.

Have you considered the Ribble / Planet X option? They are often selling off new or shop soiled frames / framesets dirt cheap.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've bought a few off eBay and I've never had an issue. Just have a good idea of what you want(make, model and size), take your time to find the perfect one, I prefer to pick the frame up so that you can give it a once over before you part with your cash.
    I've yet to see a receipt and I've never checked a serial number, a lot of it is common sense so if something doesn't feel right you walk away
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    A good place to start would be Paul Milnes Shop on Ebay.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Paul-Milnes-Cycles

Bought a frame from them last year. Excellent service and very pleased with my purchase.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Try your utmost to avoid buying something stolen. Ask for the serial number to check online if it's reported as stolen. Ask to see a receipt, ask a few questions about the bike / frame that might catch out a non cyclist.

Cash on collection is easiest; you get to have a good look at it before handing over any money. Inspect it in daylight; look for any sign that it's been crashed. Make sure that any headset, BB or seatpost isn't seized into the frame.

Check out the classifieds on here; plenty of bona fide cyclists flogging genuine stuff.

Have you considered the Ribble / Planet X option? They are often selling off new or shop soiled frames / framesets dirt cheap.

Thanks all excellent advice. And will check out the 2 options you suggested too. :)
  • arlowood wrote:
    A good place to start would be Paul Milnes Shop on Ebay.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Paul-Milnes-Cycles

Bought a frame from them last year. Excellent service and very pleased with my purchase.

Super - will give that a viewing too :D

Thanks
  • Bozman wrote:
    I've bought a few off eBay and I've never had an issue. Just have a good idea of what you want(make, model and size), take your time to find the perfect one, I prefer to pick the frame up so that you can give it a once over before you part with your cash.
    I've yet to see a receipt and I've never checked a serial number, a lot of it is common sense so if something doesn't feel right you walk away

Thanks. I have looked on Ebay - but I always worry with things like these (probably because I am no expert). Don't get me wrong I am a big Ebay fan. That said I suppose with careful viewing on inspection there are bargains to be had.

So again - a bit like the second hand car - which always comes with an element of risk - check as much as you can before handing over the ££££s.

Will keep my eyes open :)

Thanks

• Thanks - just been on there :D

Looks like some good bargains.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    http://londoncycleexchange.com/

ALl bikes are checked and serviced before you buy.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Same as buying any used items.

Check condition
    Check history
    Establish ownership

e.g Treat it as you would buying a used car.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • gpetrie
    gpetrie Posts: 29
    As others have said -
    Be careful:
    "Ooooo, a 1-day eBay auction, with a £1200 frame for only £300 from a low feedback seller - Bargain !!" - errr NO!!!!!
    If it looks too good to be true, it probably is (and the spelling & grammar in the above "ad" would probably be wrong as well !!)
    Personally, I'd avoid Gumtree - you may be lucky and get something local, but any time I've looked they always have seen too good to be true (combined with, "Yes I'm based near you, but can't show you just now as am on a business trip to the Outer Hebrides and I took the frame with me - I can post it if you send payment.....")
    Check what you can:
    Seller History (Postings on here, eBay Feedback, etc)
    On eBay - what type of items are they selling, do they regularly sell bike bits? (not necessarily an issue if not, but just something to take into consideration if a frame seems out of place with the crochet needles they normally sell...)
    If item is local, perfect, as you can arrange to view (although - "I'll meet you in the park, at the bench by the lake" - WARNING !!!)
    Documentation - if seller has receipts, etc perfect but these are not always available e.g. I'll be selling my old frame shortly, I don't have receipts, but then I do have pics of me on the bike and a Strava history (nothing exciting) of it being used over the past year
    Frame / Model history - check this online (be sure to use words like "issues", "problems" or "recall" in your search).
    I'd done some general checking on my new frame and didn't find anything too major - took the bike into my LBS to pick up a new PressFit BB and they said "we had to return 6 of these because of the BB coming away" - YIKES, quickly followed by a "Guys, perhaps you could fit the new BB for me after all and check the frame while your down there..." - thankfully all ok, turns out my frame was later (and I found reports of the issue online later, after amending my search)
    Budget
    Decide a budget you're happy with and (try) to stick to it, but do realise that you will need to have that little extra to add to this for that special item (you know you will in the end !!)
    If you can - take your time and look at eBay, the for sale forums here, LFGSS, etc to get an idea of the market price for what you want (then add extra to get the one above what you want - see note above :D )
    And of course, it's January - so depending on budget, many retailers have bargains on new frames (some retailers may also have trade-ins available - e.g. Planet X sometimes sell used trade-ins & or cosmetic damaged frames on eBay) and there should be a reasonable used supply as some of us have been upgrading over winter to get a new build for the coming season.

Final comment - I bought my "new" frame on eBay quite happily, but would say the seller could have mentioned a couple of things he didn't, nothing major but annoying nonetheless. A seller is never going to describe every last flaw and may not even be aware of them, whereas you as the excited new owner will likely notice everything - be prepared for this and accept there may be minor issues, but try to keep some options that will allow you some comeback if in the worse case what you find is unacceptable.
    e.g. on forums here, PayPal gift tends to be the chosen preferred method for Sellers as no fees involved, but for the Buyer there is no protection (it's effectively a cash transfer) - if you want the "security net", you could offer to pay the fees, so seller still ends up with their desired amount

Longer than I intended, so apologies if you've made it all the way through to here :)
  • smidsy wrote:
    Same as buying any used items.

Check condition
    Check history
    Establish ownership

e.g Treat it as you would buying a used car.

Thanks - absolutely agree. I am usually thorough in what I do with most things so good to have these pointers to add to the list.
    :D
  • gpetrie wrote:
    As others have said -
    Be careful:

Longer than I intended, so apologies if you've made it all the way through to here :)

Many thanks. No apology necessary. All the advice is extremely useful, informative and gratefully received.

Better to be fully prepared.

:D
  • izza wrote:
    http://londoncycleexchange.com/

ALl bikes are checked and serviced before you buy.

Thanks will give it a viewing.