Road cycling helmets - Don't want a fat head!

thegiant2014
thegiant2014 Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
Newbie here so go easy on me if this has already been asked in other postings.

Basically, I have a Specialized road helmet which is great, v comfortable etc but it makes me look like I've got a mushroom for a head as it is very "rounded" at the sides & up/over the basic shape.

I'm looking around at a new one anyway to take advantage of the sales & wondered if there were any riders out there that could recommend a brand/model that will give me the levels of safety & comfort I want for xx hours wearing but also are a bit "slimmer" in overall profile & with less at the sides basically.

A bit vain some might say but I don't want to ride with a head that looks like a mushroom out of the Super Mario Bro's game......

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Had the same issue with specialized, bought kask k50 which is much more flattering
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go to shop.
    Try on helmet.
    Buy one that is :

A. Comfortable - nobody else has your head so we can't judge this.
    B. Less mushroomy.
  • The most discrete profile on a road helmet I've seen is on the Garneau helmets stocked by Evans. Also think the Catlike helmets are pretty good for this
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Lazer!

I have a big head (59cm or something) and the unisize Lazer O2 doesn't make me look like a mushroom unlike, say, a Giro.

I also like Uvex.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Kask Mojito, probably the sexiest/least mushroomy lid out there - but helmets are like shoes - you need to try them as everyone has different shape/size heads.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    I think the mushroom thing happens with a thin face, fat folks never have this problem
  • Lazer!

I have a big head (59cm or something) and the unisize Lazer O2 doesn't make me look like a mushroom unlike, say, a Giro.

I also like Uvex.

What he said^^

Lazer roll-sys retention system is also particularly comfy and their helmets are very good bang for buck.
  • focuz
    focuz Posts: 150
    smidsy wrote:
    Kask Mojito, probably the sexiest/least mushroomy lid out there - but helmets are like shoes - you need to try them as everyone has different shape/size heads.
    +1 Definitely!
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    Lazer as others have said.
    Had giro, tried on a kask, Spesh etc. lazer are the only ones that don't give me shroom head. (I've got a genesis, which is fantastic IMO)

Good luck.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Focuz wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    +1 Definitely!

+1 again

Can't believe who would need the large one though, it's so wide. Is worth anyone trying who can get in the medium one.

Also, helmets also don't look as big if they are black, it's a slimming colour for a helmet :) ...so a world champ one with the stickers peeled off is good, if you want more visibility the black one has a white back so you can be seen a bit more whilst still having the lower profile look from the front.

(plus the Mojito is light, so there is no compromise really, isn't even that expensive)
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Another for the KASK Mojito. Really small profile and they work cos I've tested one out on the tarmac.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Same issue here, I have the s-works 2D and look like Mr Toad. Opted for the new Louis Garneau course not cheap £114 at Evans and only Evans. comes with a light at the rear worth a look. The latest Salice Bolt looks good.
  • Met Inferno UL. Low profile, great quality, lightweight and some very good deals around - can be found for £50-60.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Met Inferno UL. Low profile, great quality, lightweight and some very good deals around - can be found for £50-60.

I have one, and a Giro Aeon, and a Mojito.... Inferno UL is the most mushroomy of the lot for me. If someone wants one I have one in Large (white).
  • try on different sizes too, as a big fella I would normally take a Large size helmet, I had a Lazer and that had the mushroom effect, recently bought a Rudy Project Windmax http://www.rudyproject.com/products/helmets/windmax.html , the Large was a also a bit mushroom-esq but the Small/Medium fitted great but didnt end up giving me a bulbous looking heed.
  • Yes, I have a Spesh helmet and it does indeed make me look like a character out of Super Mario Bros. But I can't really justify getting a new one just because of that!
  • mfin wrote:
    Met Inferno UL. Low profile, great quality, lightweight and some very good deals around - can be found for £50-60.

I have one, and a Giro Aeon, and a Mojito.... Inferno UL is the most mushroomy of the lot for me. If someone wants one I have one in Large (white).

I bought the Inferno partly as it was the least mushroomy that I found! Mine is Large, in white, too!

Just shows that you really need to try these things on.......
  • mlefa30
    mlefa30 Posts: 64
    i heard rudy windmax helmet was sleak but £120 is a bit steep plus very hard to find a shop to try on

any other suggestions...........
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    What besides the 7 already suggested in this thread?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Kask Mojito.

The end. :D
  • mlefa30
    mlefa30 Posts: 64
    8) :D
  • I love wearing my Mojito with my Sky jersey.
  • I've been looking at one of these http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228868

Regardless of the brand it's stood out as one of the best looking helmets
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I am really pleased to have seen this post. I was convinced that it was only me who looked a complete plonker in my helmet. I thought it was something to do with my head, not my helmet!