Transporting a bike in a roof box

il sole
il sole Posts: 56
edited January 2014 in Road general
Hi,
My first post on here, so be gentle!! (and yes, I'm sure this type of thread has been done to death!)
I need to be able to carry around my bike on our family car (a renault scenic xmod) and there are very few options available. I already have a thule roof rack with aero bars, so I could buy one of their roof mounted mounts. however, I was wondering if anyone has ever used a roof box for their bike? As I already have one, it seems a shame to not be able to use it and have to spend out more on the bike specific rack.
I have tried it, and it fits comfortably (it's a big Atera box) with the seat post and front wheel removed. I was thinking with a nice bit of padding and a few straps, it would be fine. It's a carbon bike if that helps!
The obvious cost benefits aside, the big positive for me is that the bike won't get spattered with flies and gunk from being covered - it'll also be nice and secure with no one being able to guess that there's a bike in there!

Cheers for any advice :-)
Wilier Zero.7 Chorus

Comments

• florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    can't see why not, the only problem is you will have to put the bike in with the box on the car, which is not so easy.

Why not pack it in a cheap bag first and then put the bag in the box?
  • sounds a great idea and one which I may use to enable me to take bike plus wife, dog and luggage for a weekend away. Got plenty foam etc. Better see if I can get the bike in the roofbox first.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wouldn't it be easier to put your bike in the car (back seat) and your bags in the box on top ?
    Surely its easier to get a couple of pieces of luggage down from there than it is a bike. Thats if it fits anyway.

Then you dont need to take out the seatpost. Throw an old blanket over the back seat and nobody knows a bike is there if you leave it unattended.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have put my bike in our Thule roof box a few times. I put it in a DHB bike bag first then just slide it in.
    It keeps it clean, dry and 100% out of sight.
  • il sole
    cougie wrote:
    Wouldn't it be easier to put your bike in the car (back seat) and your bags in the box on top ?
    Surely its easier to get a couple of pieces of luggage down from there than it is a bike. Thats if it fits anyway.

Then you dont need to take out the seatpost. Throw an old blanket over the back seat and nobody knows a bike is there if you leave it unattended.

That would be fine, but when the car's full of luggage and three kids, it becomes quite hard☺to convince the missus that the bike should go in the car;-)
    Wilier Zero.7 Chorus
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Women can be so unreasonable :-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Kids in the roof box. They'll love it.

Oh airholes !
  • il sole
    cougie wrote:
    Kids in the roof box. They'll love it.

Oh airholes !

in all fairness, the faster you go the more air gets in there - must mean the missus can't complain when i put my foot down!!
    Wilier Zero.7 Chorus