Revelation RLT (2014) harsh top out

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Bought a 150mm Revelation RLT Solo Air in October from Merlin. Working perfectly up to Christmas. Wheels off and bike stood upside down for 3 weeks over Christmas and now I have put it back together for the first rides of the year the fork seems to have a very harsh top out. I have a Dual air Reba and it feels like the Reba would if I emptied the negative air chamber.

I am aware the 'Solo Air' bit means one valve, not one chamber. My Rev still has a + and - chamber, they are both pressurised from a single valve.

My suspicion is that something is blocking the port between + and - chambers meaning the - chamber has no pressure.

Adjusting rebound does work, it slows down/speeds up as it should but it does not help with the harsh knock when the fork fully extends. Compression adjustment also does what it should.

I have emptied the air and the stanchions seem to move ok.. but there is a bit of resistance. There is noticeable sticking at the beginning of the stroke but that would tie up with having an empty - chamber I guess.

Am I right or anyone have any other ideas? Is this a potentially easy fix or do I need to go through the process with Merlin (remove fork, box up, send away, do without my best bike for x weeks blah blah). Could the fact the bike was stored upside down have caused the problem?

I have tried to contact Merlin but they have had trouble with their phones today so are calling me back in a couple of days.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are you sure it's a 2014 fork (black stanchions?)
    I have the 2013 rev rlt and the top out is a bit harsh, I had been wondering if something is wrong.
  • Twelly
    Yep, 2014, black stanchions (see 'Mountains' in my sig)

I have never noticed it before and almost immediately after putting it back on its wheels and giving it a quick bounce I noticed so I'm pretty sure it has developed while it has been laid up.

I had a big accident in my van this week so I haven't actually been able to ride it since I noticed apart from up and down the road, so I can't say if it will affect the ride...
  • Twelly
    Just to update this, forks came back from Merlin (who got them back from SRAM) today. Service report says an O ring was replaced and they put some new oil in.. no more info than that but I suspect the O ring had something to do with sealing the negative air chamber. All sorted and they feel great now. Top service from Merlin by the way.